PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Holley Terminator X Freezing issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021 | 06:39 PM
Teching In

Exclamation Holley Terminator X Freezing issue

Hey guys,

I currently have a Terminator X wired up in my race car and have been having issues with the online view/gauge display on my laptop freezing. For context, I am using a Y splitter to run the handheld as well as USB connection for my laptop so I can tune/watch the gauge display in real time. The issue i am having is once i connect to the ECU and go online and open the gauge display, all is good until I start the car and it runs for about 5-10 seconds give or take. Then the Gauge display on the laptop freezes/unfreezes with no rhyme or reason. I've noticed during this time the handheld still works and reads fine and the engine still runs/idles as if there isn't an issue. Could this possibly be an issue with my splitter/CAN harness? I have done some digging and seen other people with the same issue but it either wasn't resolved or the had incorrect USB drivers on their PC's. Here is a list of things I've tried so far:

Verified Main power and ground goes directly to battery.
Battery and holley both see over 14v while running.
Updated/reinstalled the correct USB driver version per holleys website.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Terminator X software as well as upgraded to the latest (80) firmware on the ECU.
Verified good engine grounds.
Recently purchased a new laptop during black friday (as mine was older and i wanted a new one anyways) but i haven't tried it with the car yet.

Has anyone else seen an issue similar to this? As I mentioned it seems as though I'm not the only one but i am having problems finding any other people who've resolved it. I am open to all suggestions. Because of this issue I haven't felt comfortable enough to take the car to get tuned.

(Hopefully mods wont beat me up, i posted this in the fueling and injection page but haven't gotten any replies)
Old 12-13-2021 | 06:48 PM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

Common issue on term x and snipers. Usually from wiring or feedback from something else causing it. I hardly ever see it with dominator or HP.
Old 12-13-2021 | 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by minytrker
Common issue on term x and snipers. Usually from wiring or feedback from something else causing it. I hardly ever see it with dominator or HP.
Do you have anything I could try? The wiring is completely per holley instructions.. I supposed it would be possible if im getting some kind of interference but the splitter and can cables are pretty far away from everything else.
Old 12-14-2021 | 08:20 AM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

It could could be from your plug wires, how the wiring was routed, how your setup is grounded, bad ground etc.
Old 12-21-2021 | 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boostcreeep
Do you have anything I could try? The wiring is completely per holley instructions.. I supposed it would be possible if im getting some kind of interference but the splitter and can cables are pretty far away from everything else.
Try it without the splitter. Those tend to cause nothing but issues.

Andrew
Old 12-24-2021 | 12:51 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Have you tried plugging in after the initial start? Or disconnected and reconnected after it's running? I've done that on a car I tune, and generally have good luck.

Quick Reply: Holley Terminator X Freezing issue