Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic first tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basic first tune

I have been searching for information on first tune on my conversion. Lm7 in 1941 Studebaker. I will be using a 411 from 02’ Yukon.
It seems to me that differences between the two vehicles such as weight, rear end gearing and tire size would affect the tune. Are items such as I described something that can be changed in the program?

Should I be looking for a tune that has been uploaded that has similar properties to my conversion?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

What tuning software are you going with?
Old 03-20-2022, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey72D
I have been searching for information on first tune on my conversion. Lm7 in 1941 Studebaker. I will be using a 411 from 02’ Yukon.
It seems to me that differences between the two vehicles such as weight, rear end gearing and tire size would affect the tune. Are items such as I described something that can be changed in the program?

Should I be looking for a tune that has been uploaded that has similar properties to my conversion?

As you will learn during your search process, there is an almost unlimited amount of info about the 411pcm. There are questions that you do not even know you need to ask yet that are already fully answered in this forum. Everything you just asked about is considered to be the most basic of parameters. Keep diving down the rabbit hole far enough, and the knowledge base of this forum could help you have one badass Studebaker. So the simple answer to your questions is YES.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the support. I'll be using PC Hammer. I think I’m going to put this thread on hold? Not sure how to do that! But it seems I should hook up the 411 ecu to PC hammer, read and save it. Then just putter around and become familiar with the program so I will better understand responses.

Then once I am ready to actually start the engine and get moving, I’ll have found a file(s) that will be suitable for my car.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts

Those changes might affect speedometer calibration, and maybe automatic-transmission shift points.
If you have a manual transmission I'd be shocked if any of those things made a difference to the tune.
The stuff that really mattes is whatever affects the flow of air and fuel (intake tract, cam, fuel injectors, stuff like that).

I'm pretty sure the engine will be just fine if you grab another LM7 tune that used the same intake manifold, cam, and fuel injectors. And use the same diameter MAF housing.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Now using a 411 from 01 Silverado with OS of 12208322. I found an XDF file to use with the OS. In Tuner Pro, I went through the parameter categories made changes to column lock, vats, transmission type and a couple of changes in the vehicle platform options.

At this time I don’t see any other categories that need attention. However I am open to any and all suggestions and opinions.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Now using a 411 from 01 Silverado with OS of 12208322. I found an XDF file to use with the OS. In Tuner Pro, I went through the parameter categories made changes to column lock, vats, transmission type and a couple of changes in the vehicle platform options.

At this time I don’t see any other categories that need attention. However I am open to any and all suggestions and opinions.
Like I said, it really depends on how deep you want to dive into things. For example, there are restart parameters that adjust fueling and timing based on how long since you last shut the engine off. These will be affected by how fast the engine cools off, which could be far different in a hoodless T bucket rat rod than a camaro with a tiny engine compartment. You would likely never notice the difference either way, but that is just one example of the MANY parameters that may or may not ever need attention. In reality, most people never go much beyond just basic fueling and gear ratio changes, and are perfectly happy.

Quick Reply: Basic first tune