Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a retune

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do I need a retune

My car had a stock bottom end LS1 with mild cam, 40lb injectors, and rear 02/EGR delete for headers. That engine was a fresh rebuild and it bent an intake valve in cylinder 1 after 500 miles of light driving. I swapped it with bone stock LQ4 kept the stock block, heads, and cam. I used the headers and 40 lb injectors as they are compatible. So I have stock LQ4 with 40lb and headers. I have started the car many times and it runs and idols good. Do you think I need to get a retune to go for a spin or would I be fine taking it for a drive around the block. If you suggest a retune, where would you suggest I take it to get tuned in eastern PA if you know of any places Im open to suggestions thanks.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Did you get a diagnosis on the bent valve?

LQ4's came with 24# injectors so you should be ok with the 40's, room to grow, and If it idles fine with a larger injector, thumbs up. What are you plans for the car? (what car is it by the way?)
Old 04-19-2022, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

everything benefits with a good tune, but if its running now youll be fine. Probably just a bit rich than most prefer. A remote/mail in tuner would be able to do it if you cant find a reputable tuner in your area.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, found there was Zero compression in cylinder 1 tore motor apart and found valve was bent was obvious markings on piston. I was shocked considering LS engines do not typically bend valves. Would too large of a cam cause this?

Car is a 2001 Camaro ss black 6 speed convertible. I bought the car from some idiot it was a fresh rebuilt LS1. Was cruising on country road and out of nowhere it bends the valve. It sounds stupid but I swear I was just driving and the car shut off. Long story short I bought an LQ4 out of a 3500 express van from a u pullit for 400 reused most of the new gaskets and parts from the ls1 and here we are. She runs well I am pleased with the results. I have everything done except I cannot get the clutch to bleed on the t56. Very frustrating.

Quick Reply: Do I need a retune