Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE! Won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP PLEASE! Won’t start

Long story, but I’ll give all the details and what I have tried. Looking for thoughts and ideas.

1995 TA with an almost brand new 388 CI F1A procharged LT4 with EFI Connection 24x LS ECM conversion. So from computer and ignition side virtually an LS.

Car ran great last summer, breaking engine in and tuning. At the end of the summer found out the new Stage 2 4L60e was toast. Had a Stage 3 Jakes 4l80e built and I did the conversion.

Not much time to work on it it took about 9 months to get everything done.

We’re I live I can only get the 10% ethanol fuel, none of the good stuff, I do put Lucas octane boost in the gas. But before I parked it last summer I put Stabil fuel stabilizer in.

About 1 month ago ready to start, it was close on first crank, then more cranks didn’t feel/sound very close to starting. I ended up flooding it pretty bad, so I changed the oil and plugs. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new one.

new oil, new plugs, new battery, just tried to start again today…doesn’t wanna go. This engine setup usually fires right up. I confirmed the previous tune (that ran last summer) and the new tune with the tranny segment swap didn’t have any engine setting changes.

I did mess with 4 wires going to the ecm from the tranny
-(White wire) Blue connector #79 Skip Shift Solenoid became Rear VSS low moved to Red connector #20
-(Tan/Black wire) Red connector #42 TCC solenoid became Rear VSS high moved to Red 21
-Front VSS low connected to Red 22
-Front VSS high connected to Red 23

i might double check all my wiring, but would any of that impact being able to start?

I can’t imagine I have bad/old gas.

any ideas or thoughts, I’m at my wits end with this car right now.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you checked the basics, like spark? And by that I mean on every cylinder. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I’ve had a bad crank sensor cause only half the plugs to fire. It wanted to start too, but didn’t. I lost a lot of sleep over that one thinking my harness was jacked up. Turns out it wasn’t. Just a bad sensor. Of course I did rip open the entire harness chasing that one first though, assuming everything else was fine. I even pulled the intake, valve covers, etc. rewired my cam sensor and rebuilt my coil pack harnesses. Yeah that one had me for at least a month off and on. All because I assumed that my crank sensor was good because it was new. Take it from me, start with the simple stuff.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input and info on your experience on a bad crank sensor. That was one of the “possibilities” on my ever growing list. I take zero insult!!! I am looking for any and all advice, and appreciate it.

3 times now (at least 1-2 days between attempts), it turns over on its own a couple times on the first crank. But then the next cranks it doesn’t seem close to lighting off. By then there is too much fuel in the chamber.

it feels like a spark or bad fuel problem. I just cannot see it being bad gas though.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE! Won’t start