Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tune after headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need tune after headers

I have a 2000 trans am ws6 and I removed stock exhaust and replaced with kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers and SLP loudmouth II exhaust. I deleted the air pump, tubes and egr. Do I need to retune the computer and if so...how and where.
Old 08-11-2023, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes. Find a tuner.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Do you have HP Tuners? There are several things that will need to be updated, or changed, in the tune after the addition of the long tubes. If you have HP Tuners-you can post a copy of your current tune here-and we can show you what changes to make to get you started. Have you done any VE table, or MAF table, tuning before? If not, you may want to farm this out... Otherwise, if you like learning, it's time to jump into some of the most fun you could ever have...
Old 08-17-2023, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
Do you have HP Tuners? There are several things that will need to be updated, or changed, in the tune after the addition of the long tubes. If you have HP Tuners-you can post a copy of your current tune here-and we can show you what changes to make to get you started. Have you done any VE table, or MAF table, tuning before? If not, you may want to farm this out... Otherwise, if you like learning, it's time to jump into some of the most fun you could ever have...
I do not have HP Tuners. I have been looking at everything involved with it and watching the tutorials and quite frankly feel very overwhelmed at going that route. With the tuner, cable and credits...i'd be into it for $500...and still be bumbling around like a fool. I have seen in some of the forums about mail in tunes, but that make me a bit leery too. I just have to keep looking for a tuner that doesn't charge $1000 for a simple tune.
The following users liked this post:
slothman (08-17-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

Then learn how to use a program called "Tuner Pro RT" for editing your tune file and then learn how to use another program called "PCM Hammer" to read and write your tune file from and to your PCM. This is free chicken tuning, no money "credits" required . . . all you gotta' do is learn how. Go to the junk yard and buy a PCM harness to hack up and use - then get a small, 12 volt DC, three amp power supply from EBay to power it all. Most of the work here for you will be deleting vehicle security and then turning off those things inside the tune that you have removed so that the Check Engine light won't illuminate.

You Tube has PLENTY of videos explaining all of this and the changes you need to make in your tune are very simple. What PCM model do you have? Is it one with the red connector bar and also a blue connector bar???

Rick

Quick Reply: Need tune after headers