Sponsored by:

Loaded Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loaded Question

Hey, guys!
I'll start by giving a little background before asking my questions..

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangeler I did a swap about 5 years ago. It has a 2005 6.0/80e combo (4x4) out of a Chevy van 3500 (cammed, springs, etc). The PCM was dyno tuned by a professional shop.
I also have a 2000 5.3 (have an extra 80e to combo 4x2) out of a Chevy Silverado that's completely stock. I want to pull the 6.0 out of the Jeep and install into a 1985 Chevy c20 and install the 5.3 into the Jeep and sell the Jeep.
My intention is to pull the 6.0 and use the existing harness for the 5.3. The 6.0 will be controlled by a Holley TerminatorX.

My questions are as follows:
1) Can I use the 2005 harness for the 2000?
2) If not, is it just a different pinout situation?
3) Does anyone have a bin file for the 2000 5.3 with 4x4 80e segment swapped?
4) I have a 2001 bin with 5.3/80e already swapped. Can I use that with the 2000 PCM

I hope y'all have good news for me!
Thank you in advance for the helping hand.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

1. Can you use the 05 harness with the 2000 computer.. That's a tough one.. You can go to Lt1swap.com and there you will find BOTH wiring diagrams for a 2000 and also for a 2005. You will then need to verify that all wires are in the same pin locations between the two harnesses. I'd say it's BETTER to start with the correct year harness for the computer you are working with.. For example your 05 harness *might* be DBW (drive by wire)... and the 2000-depending on what type of vehicle it came out of is *might* be drive by cable. The DBW harness is going to have a bunch of extra wires that you will not need-IF you go to DBC... Likewise, your 05 harness most likely will NOT have the wiring for the IAC and separate TPS connectors that the 2000 computer might need for a DBC throttle body. Since you already have the 05 computer in the jeep, with the 05 wiring-just swap whatever throttle body you are currently using on the jeep onto the 5.3 when you put it in the jeep. Yes, you will have to re-tune the PCM for the smaller motor... but you already knew that.
# 2 see above
#3 You can find a stock TUNE for the 05 5.3L from the HP Tuners repository-but you should STILL plan on tuning it if you want it to run right! You have changed a LOT of things in moving that engine into your jeep and a factory tune file from a truck *might* run okay in the Jeep, or it might run like poop. One thing is for sure-it will NOT be optimal.
#4. Again, why are you wanting to change the PCM and/or harness? the 05 computer and harness will work just fine with the 5.3L engine-as long as you keep the same type of throttle body as what is currently in the jeep. Don't over-complicate this. Change JUST the motor, and KEEP the current throttle body-re-tune the 05 computer that's already there for the 5.3. Super easy.

Quick Reply: Loaded Question