Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin type in OBD2

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin type in OBD2

Hello!
Can you help me understand what the pin type in OBD2 ports means? And could you also give me some guidance on how to select the correct one?
I'd really appreciate your assistance since I'm not too familiar with this stuff!
Old 09-21-2023, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! There are two main types of OBD2 connectors. Type A and type B connectors. They differ in data transmission speed and output voltage. Type A connectors have an output voltage of 12 V and are suitable for small vehicles such as cars. They have an approximate data transfer rate of 500,000 baud Type B connectors are commonly found in medium-sized and heavy-duty vehicles. In addition, they have an output voltage of 24V. They have a maximum data rate of 250,000 baud. More information here https://www.flexihub.com/oobd2-pinout/
Old 10-02-2023, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Nice response Nickolos, HMike in the future when posing it is important to give more info , like what you are trying to do. How can you receive an accurate answer without knowing what the OBDII port is going to be used with. More info is better...you won't bore us Welcome to both of you
Old 10-05-2023, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently had to wire/connect my port for my LS swap. I purchased a OBDII port and tried to use it. I eventually found out that there are 2 "types" of ports: A) 4 wire "older" style used before2006 and older (?) B) 5 wire "newer" style. the 5 wire is for the "faster" 2 data wire ECMs. I am not sure about the change over dates or specifics, but if you have a ECM that indicates 2 HS LAN data wires then I believe you would need the later "newer" OBDII port. the ports are exactly the same except the additional wire and I believe the port assignment is different. Not sure if this is helpful.. hopefully it is...
good luck!

Quick Reply: Pin type in OBD2