Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Guage acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Temp Guage acting strange

I am preparing for a Torque Convertor and took the first step by installing a Autometer Z series temp guage for my A4 stock tranny. I installed it yesterday and today had it out for the first time.

All the lights are fine the guage is grounded to a grounding point and the guage gets power from the 'ign'.

When I drove to work this morning the temp guage started with the needle below the 100 degree (100 to 250) and when driving it got upto only 150 degrees except at one point after WOT it jump to 250+ and fluttered there for a few minutes before dropping back down.

I do not know if it is a defective guage or if a loose contact at the sending unit, or a filtration problem with the tranny could could cause this or of any other factor.

For any experts out there or any guesses and experience with same please respond.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well..... I expected at least one response.

Anyhow, I found that when I pulled the wire tight from the firewall to the sending unit it had snagged on the exhaust and the heat from the exhaust may have been causing it to act strange.

I will know if that was the case tomorrow if I have no problems.

Maybe someone can tell me the normal operating temp of the transmission?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

150-190, but I have a 3500 stall and cooler...I think stock should be in this range too.

Id just recheck and retrace all connections and wires...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
150-190, but I have a 3500 stall and cooler...I think stock should be in this range too.

Id just recheck and retrace all connections and wires...

Thanks

After I tightened wire again from sending unit to firewall and removed from where it was hooked on exhaust the guage has worked fine. After 1 hour driving it warmed up to 180 to 190 and stayed there. It appears to be running normal.

Now I can work on the Trans Cooler and TC install.