Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C tuning, Gen 3 P01

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Default A/C tuning, Gen 3 P01

To preface this, I did search about this question, but never found an actual answer or process how to do it. I did find one good video on YT where Evans Performance Academy where they talk about it. But I'm guessing they used it as a teaser to buy their training.

Since I bitch about it, I should tell you what I'm working on.
2000 Firehawk, turbo blah blah, cam has a **** ton of overlap.

P01 PCM
I've spent A LOT of time tuning this thing and i'm really happy with it. Now that it's hot as *****, I need my AC.

My BRAF table is pretty solid, my STIT are normally +/- .5 g/s.
When I turn the A/C on, I can see it adding a bunch of A/C idle air, somewhere between 3-4 g/s.

How is that calculated? I have all my idle adapatives zero'd out.

I know about the the ENGINE>TORQUE MODEL>LOSS>A/C vs pressure table, but don't understand it.

I understand it's supposed to be frictional loss, but how is it calculated and where does the A/C idle airflow value come from?

More importantly, what do I need to log to know how to change it correctly? That's the point in the process where the YT video stopped.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 06-22-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In this case it takes torque and converts to airflow. That table is required torque vs AC pressure.. I needed to add more AC idle airflow, so I bumped this table, the IAT one, and Torque Model -> Engine -> AC torque one all up by 10 percent or so to get started.

It's all the same as AC off, just another AC idle airflow adder that's part of the equation. If AC off is working great and now with AC on it's struggling, or idle is dipping after a rev, I try to touch only the AC specific tables so I don't mess up the AC off operation.

If if's still struggling you can increase idle RPM for AC on only, and "stall saver" might not be a bad thing to turn on, if not already and it's stalling out. It will kick in more airflow aggressively if idle droops and turn off the AC compressor for a moment to save it.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate the reply.

I figured it had to be using torque based off airflow, which I am guessing is based off fuel flow.

Right now it's adding about 2 g/s when driving, when I push the clutch in, the RPM's hang really high, like the cracker table is wrong. With the A/C off, the car drives fantastic.

I was going to mess with tuning the A/C on Sunday, but I did 3-6.8k pull in 4th gear Saturday night, P/S pump started leaking and killed my brand new Powermaster alternator. First time the car has come home on a roll back.
Old Today, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found this searching this morning. So far, it's the best post I've seen explaining it. A/C stuff is in post #2.

It's hotter than ***** today and I'll be seeing what I can figure out.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...compressor+iat

Quick Reply: A/C tuning, Gen 3 P01