Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering HP Tuners

My car has been dyno tuned w/ LS1 Edit by a shop near me, I assume the editor in HP Tuners will still work ( I've heard of "locked" tunes & such). Will the car be tunable with both programs? I read some of the parameters are displayed w/different values that are convertible & don't want to mess up the stuff my shop has done but I want to learn more about the cars computer but still leave my shop the ability to fix my messups. Anyone have any input?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-11-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mark98SS
My car has been dyno tuned w/ LS1 Edit by a shop near me, I assume the editor in HP Tuners will still work ( I've heard of "locked" tunes & such). Will the car be tunable with both programs? I read some of the parameters are displayed w/different values that are convertible & don't want to mess up the stuff my shop has done but I want to learn more about the cars computer but still leave my shop the ability to fix my messups. Anyone have any input?
Thanks,
Mark

If you PCM is unlocked you can download the .bin file via HP Tuner's and make modifications to the .bin file and re-upload it back to the PCM with no problems. The differences you hear are in the display of some of the tables like the Primary VE Table as HP Tuner's displays the data in a percentage format and LS1 Edit uses some value that is the RAW value. You can convert between the two but either way it gets written to the bin file in the same format or the PCM couldn't interpret the data. So to answer your question, yes you can use HP Tuners and LS1 Edit on the same PCM as long as it is not locked.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id ask keith from hp tuners theres a post on their forum about 98's...from what I personally understood you couldnt write over an existing ls1 edit tune...maybe im wrong though
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can as long as your PCM has not been locked by another tuner.

Simply read your PCM with our product and save that file somewhere safe. Then modify a new copy of the file so you can revert back to your original if you need to.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 08-12-2004, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the input, I talked to the guy who's been doing my tuning. He doesn't lock the PCM & said he had heard good things about HP Tuners. I'll be ordering soon.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't go wrong!!!! I love it. The scanner kicks azz and I never use my Autotap anymore...

Try to get a buddy to go in with you that has another 98 LS1 and then split the costs...