Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Choosing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help With Choosing Tune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone. First real post here.
I have a 02 Z28 M6. The only mods that I have done to the engine, so far, are Whisper lid and Magnaflow cat back. I have a set of 4.10 gears that I will be installing when I figure out what I will be doing about a tune. I was going to purchase either a Hypertech or the SLP speedometer calibrator to adjust for the new gears. Then I started to read about other options: LS1edit, NelsonTune, Predator etc. I know that I will be doing other mods (headers, cam and then probably heads) in the future and I don’t want to buy a tuner or a tune that will not be adequate with my planed future mods .
I think I have eliminated tuners such as LS1edit that require a laptop and a lot of computer skills. I am leaning towards a tuner such as a Predator. I like the idea of being able to do some basic tunes and then the option of having a custom tune made up. How does the Predator compare to a service such as NelsonTune? I know that either one of these options does not compare to a dyno tune but I do not live close to anyone that offers this service (I am a good 3-hour drive to the nearest one). Is there one of these tune options that will be OK with all of my future mods (which will be done at different times as funds allow) until I get them all complete and then take the car to a dyno tune?
I would really like to get these gears in as soon as possible but this tune dilemma is holding me up. Thanks for any help that you guys can give.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you got it right when you talk about getting something like LS1 Edit or a dyno tune. But I don't have a lap top and don't want to buy one just to tune my car. And a dyno tune from what I've read is about $350 to $500. So I went with the Predator. I figure it's paid for it's self already. Does everything I need and I will be putting in a cam soon and I know I can tune for that to. At least get it real close. I'm not going to pay someone $500 to tune it for me. Good luck with what ever you do.