PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Bad O2 ? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004 | 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default Bad O2 ? Help please!

Hey guys,

I put my new heads on my car the other day and am trying to get it to idle well enough to drive it around untill i can get it down to the Dyno

When i first started up the car it was idling at 1500+ rpm's, with the idle slowing raising as it sat there. I turned the car off, and restarted and it sat at 1200 rpm's... then again slowing started raising. The TPS sensor was saying .74 volts at idle. I lowed it down and .57 seemd to work well... idled at 800-900 rpms and has a nice lope to it... i could put it in gear and it wouldn't die ... everything seemed fine, other than the fact that our eyes were burning from how rich it was running. We thought we had solved the problem, i turned the car off and we got to talking and about 20 min went by. When i tried to start it again the car would die if i didn't give it gas... after about 30 sec of having to give it gas it found an idle around 700 rpm's and stayed there for a couple min. I then got in the car and put it in gear and it instantly died again. I raised the idle some and got it back where it needed to be (TPS voltage was .6X not for sure now). Ran OK... took about a 15 mile trip and got something to eat.. came back home...

The next morning the car was idling at around 1100 when i started it. The first stoplight i got to (about 10 miles) the car was sitting at 700-800 rpms. Drove it for a while and it felt like the car was loading up ... it would stutter and miss out a bit then when i got on it it would clear out..

I took the car to Advanced Auto Parts and they scanned it for codes. The car was idling at 800 when i shut it off... when the guy came out to check it... he started it and it was at 1500+ again! The codes that came up were Driver side O2 Low Voltage and also a Multiple Missfires codes.

I then took it to a friend of mines house who works at a chevy dealership and is pretty good at figuring out problems like this. As soon as he started it up it ran fine! Idles at 800-900 rpms, didn't die when it shifted... took it for a drive and only thing it was doing was loading up a bit. Baffled i left his house and drove about 20 miles to another friends house. The car again idles at 1200+ once i restarted it and did that for the rest of the night...

Im pretty sure that it has a good bit to do with an O2 Sensor... mainly because the driver side O2 is the one i had out when i changed my heads earlier this week.. and i think it may have gotten some dex cool on the bulb. Another thing that supports this is that there was a black spot on the floor where the car was sitting under the driver side exhaust turn down, and just a very faint ring where the passenger side exhaust turn down was (i have x pipe and bullets with turndowns before the rear axle).

It should also be noted that when i first put my sheetmetal intake on the car would idle high sometimes and not others... but i never had the problem with it running so rich..

Not sure if its important or not but the only thing i changed durring this past week was the heads... went from 2.02/1.55 Stage 1.5 5.3 heads to some 2.055/1.60 stage 3 5.3 heads.

Any insight anyone can give would be very appreciated.