Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smog test question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smog test question

Does anybody know for sure if when they plug in the smog tester into the vehicle if it actually reads the vin # ? im in california. im sure its different then other states.

i have both smogs due for both cars at the same time and im wondering if i can take the one that will pass at different times for both cars.

i dont want to take the gold one and have it pass for the white one and then im screwed at where i wont be able to get the gold one to pass because it would show it had been ran already for the year because of the vin.

if anybody knows, please let me know

thanks

(posted in western section also)
Old 09-03-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WicketMike
Does anybody know for sure if when they plug in the smog tester into the vehicle if it actually reads the vin # ? im in california. im sure its different then other states.

i have both smogs due for both cars at the same time and im wondering if i can take the one that will pass at different times for both cars.

i dont want to take the gold one and have it pass for the white one and then im screwed at where i wont be able to get the gold one to pass because it would show it had been ran already for the year because of the vin.

if anybody knows, please let me know

thanks

(posted in western section also)

Yes, the first thing the OBDII scanner does is read the VIN number. They also use a bar code reader on your VIN on your window and they match both of them.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Here in Ga. 96-2000 seldom if at all read the vin, 01-02's do read the vin most of the time( the equipment shows the tester when it does, at best guess 70%). Also here 96-2000 can have 2 not readies and pass 01-02 can only have 1.