Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X3 Hot Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G5X3 Hot Start

I have an 03 A4 vette with a stock stall. LG installed my G5X3. However, when they installed it they could not tune it because Lou had the laptop and was off racing. So I had to wait 4 days to get it tuned. Needless to say it ran like crap.

After tuning, on cold start it starts and runs fine. When you put it in gear cold, it surges slightly then its fine. After it gets up to normal temp, it starts idles for a second at 900, then tries to idle at 300 or 400, then dies.

I took it back, Lou was busy, so Sean tuned it. He got it to start fine when warm, but it would want to die, after you put it in gear. You would have to hold one foot on the brake, and one on the gas, until it was happy, then it would idle.

This was Friday. On Sunday, I did a lot of driving. It started fine when warm and would go in gear fine. Then all of a sudden its back doing exactly the same thing. It starts but won't idle, and dies putting it in gear. When it does this, after you get it going the car feels like it has no power. Occasionally, after a warm start episode, when you give it part throttle it pops and sputters.

I know this is long I do apologize, but this is driving me crazy. I had a dependable car now it's a piece of sh#t.

Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it, or tell LG how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't answer your questions, but can give you some related info.

My car is doing something similar and seems to run fine until it learns its way into not being able to idle. I'm thinking it has something to do with my o2s causing the fuel trims to get whacked out in some of the near idle cells. You can temporarily fix it by disconnecting the bat for a few minutes and then let it sit at idle for 5 minutes after a restart. Do you have the LG longtube headers on the car? I'm thinking that the longtubes cause problems for the 02s at low RPMs.

Some of what you described is just part of having a big cam in a hot climate. Not much vacuum and hot air adds up to some really poor air in the intake after you first start it hot. Try letting the car rev for a few minutes to get that hot air out.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Yes I do have LG long tubes. I have tried revving it up after I start it. Even if you hold it at 2k, after you let off the gas it still wants to idle at 400 and die. After they installed the headers (before I had the cam put in) I would pop codes 1153 and 1133. I still pop these codes.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is the problem?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

you shouldnt have any codes/lights after a cam tune.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Do you have ported heads or larger injectors?
Also, what LSA do you get 112 or 114?

I have just started to get these issues settled myself with the X3/112 and 90mm TB/Intake.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Teching In

No I have stock heads and stock injectors. I have the X3 112. My only mods are X3, Blackwing, LG long tubes w/high flow cats, ported throttle body, and Borla 2 tip stingers.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that Cam you should have a converter to atleast take the strain off the tranny at idle.Corvette's are very touchy if they have an engine light.Almost any engine light will put it into limp mode causing your problems.You should bring it back to LG to adjust the idle again.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I have, it is back there again for the 3rd time.