Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Problem

Recently, my car had been acting funny while crusing. Te other day, it would start and the milage was not being displayed on my cluster. I took out the cluster to find that nothing was wrong, and started to inspect the connection at the pcm with the key on, engine off. I pushed down on the connector that is bolted into the PCM and heard sensors go crazy. I found out it was not making a good connection, and thus not allowing the car to start. I went to remove the bolt to see what could be the problem, and the bolt snapped off inside the PCM. Now this is a speed inc tuned PCM, and I am afraid I am going to lose my tune, but more than that I need a stcok PCM for a 98 M6 car. Anyone have any idea where I can get a used one? Basically, I dont want to have to pay full price from a dealer. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Why don't you give Wester's Garage a try. I got a used 2k pcm from him, great guy to deal with too.

I just have his email address handy, but if you want his address and phone number, I can look for it.

nwester@eidnet.org
Old 09-27-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that valvegod can get pcm's.

I would think speed inc, if you tell them the story, send them the old and the new pcm, would transfer your tune for you...

You could possibly get the broken bolt drilled out of the pcm. If you remove the pcm. Just tape over the socket openings to keep the chips out.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John_D.
I've heard that valvegod can get pcm's.

I would think speed inc, if you tell them the story, send them the old and the new pcm, would transfer your tune for you...

You could possibly get the broken bolt drilled out of the pcm. If you remove the pcm. Just tape over the socket openings to keep the chips out.
I am not worried so much about fixing the old one, as I am about getting a new one so I can drive my car home. (I am currently away at school, and i just need to be able to drive the car 4 hours to my hometown where I can fix everything.) I will call speed inc when I get back, but again what I need right now, is a spare PCM that isnt going to break my wallet.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You won't lose the tune, the only way to can do that is by reflashing the EPROM chip inside the ECU.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by APeteSS
You won't lose the tune, the only way to can do that is by reflashing the EPROM chip inside the ECU.
Definetly good to know, but I am gonna need a spare PCM in the meantime from somewhere, and I dont know where to go to find a cheap one.