Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Maf

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ls1 Maf

I was interested in some specs on teh actual MAFs used on the LS1 motors. The things Im interested in is:

What conections does it have? + 12 volt power + frequency output?

What does the waveform look like? 0/+5 volt square wave?

Any other things like a built in IAT or burnoff capabilities that I should know of?

The reason Im asking is that Im doing some tuning of my own. I currently have a straight speed density setup and I was toying with the idea of maybe a SD/MAF hybrid of some sort with the MAF totally handling the fueling or just maybe used during PE only and the MAP used mainly for transient fueling and spark. I completly reverse-engineered the computer Im using (its old as hell) so actually the real work to be done is blending in the MAF and initial tuning .

On that note, what do you guys think of having the MAP/MAF setup with your LS1s? I know some of the guys with the older crappy maf systems swear by it but I dont know if id like to have the fueling be some composite of both like I assume it to be now.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Online supplier lists a new LS1 maf as costing a 100 some odd bucks from their site so I guess Ill just try and tell.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

They used to cost about $300. I had to buy a new one about 5 years ago. The price for a new one used to be unreal.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was afraid it would be insane but at least the cost appers to have come down somewhat.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crapmaro
What conections does it have? + 12 volt power + frequency output?

What does the waveform look like? 0/+5 volt square wave?

Any other things like a built in IAT or burnoff capabilities that I should know of?

On the 3 pin style (metal body) it's +12V, gnd, and Freq out.

On the 5 pin style (plastic body) it's+12v, gnd, freq out, and IAT high and low.

Those are NOT the actual pin orders, just what's there.

output is open collector, you'll need some kinda pull up resistor to whatever supply you're using on the reading side, 5V or 12V. Should be pretty close to 50% DC.

Output is standard hot wire style curve, exponentially rising curve.

No triggerable burn off mode that I'm aware of.

I still run a MAF and MAP based setup, but with minor tweaks. It's not your average setup in anyway, and not for the unskilled user.

I retained them both on my initial setup before I was really pushing the MAF input beyond it's limits. The steady state fueling off the MAF combined w/ the speed of MAP based transient fueling is the only way to go if you want a system w/ really good driveability that's not effected by weather and altitude changes. But that's just my .03