PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF vs. SD tunes, pros and cons.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far the only disadvantage that I have found is the amount of time that it takes to get it right. Plan on spending a day or two getting things exactly where you want them.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:33 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree your tuner wasn't on his game if your car wouldn't idle. I've seen tunes (plus I am runing one). On all the cars I have seen SD improves throttle respone and drivability. This is ESPECIALLY true on cars with big cams which suffer from low speed airflow issues witha big cam, overlap, etc...

Sam at Sam's Performance is about the best I've seen with SD tunes. He won't give away tunes, but he knows his stuff. There are a few others that do it, but I haven't seen their work first hand, so I can't speak for their work.

I will say I have seen a 273/273 104LSA 103 ICL cam in a 346 behind an Automatic with a big stall that had plenty of good manners and idled at 850 RPM with an SD tune. I drove the car , and it had plenty of grunt, and ran hard. I also drove a SD tuned car with a 242/242 108/108 cam. Acted like a stock car...

I have seen 0 drawbacks to SD tuning. I expect once more folks understand how it is done, more folks will do it.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:48 PM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I have seen 0 drawbacks to SD tuning. I expect once more folks understand how it is done, more folks will do it.
If somebody wants an SD tune they just have to understand that you better not plan on changing your configuration much if at all otherwise you will need a full retune. Maf is better suited for the average person who does bolt ons as time goes by. The only drawbacks to a single SD tune is a stable engine configuration, time, and money.

Last edited by Nic00Z28M6; 10-14-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:24 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

J-rod u never answered the question
Will the A/F go out of sync with SD and temp changes?

I have a TR224 and IMO it doesnt need a SD tune.
Its pulls very hard,has plenty of throttle repsonse and gets great mpg.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys... Logged this one this morning over the last 20 minutes of my commute. So far so good. Everything feels great. The car feels especially snappy and crisp in terms of p/t response.

Ive heard mention of people disabling LTFT learning and then adjusting VE based on the STFT histogram. How is this accomplished?

Also, whats a good starting point for my PE? I think I have it set for 1.85 across the board. Another question is can my PE TPA% enable stay bumped up for good? Its between 10 and 20% higher than the stock tune to get into PE.

Thanks,
-Tony
Attached Thumbnails MAF vs. SD tunes, pros and cons.-ltft_10-25-04.jpg  
Old 10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, and how can I get the ECM to read the high octane spark table with the MAF unplugged? I never use crap gas, but Id like to put the low octane table back as a measure of protection.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Hey guys... Logged this one this morning over the last 20 minutes of my commute. So far so good. Everything feels great. The car feels especially snappy and crisp in terms of p/t response.
And thats why my MAF became a paper weight

Ive heard mention of people disabling LTFT learning and then adjusting VE based on the STFT histogram. How is this accomplished?
With the new version of Tuners (1.5)

Also, whats a good starting point for my PE? I think I have it set for 1.85 across the board. Another question is can my PE TPA% enable stay bumped up for good? Its between 10 and 20% higher than the stock tune to get into PE.

Thanks,
-Tony
Dayum 1.85 is really rich 14.7/1.85=8:0 that is richer than the EFI limit IIRC. Stock setting are 1.25 which is 11.76. I would try 1.17 that would give you 12.5:1 and since you dont have a WB check your knock sensors although i think that is a nice safe spot
Old 10-15-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Dayum 1.85 is really rich 14.7/1.85=8:0 that is richer than the EFI limit IIRC.
DOH! I meant 1.185 which is ~12.3. I guess Ill start there and check for KR, and if I dont get any, ill bump it to 1.17. Thanks for al the help HumpinSS and the rest of you guys too!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
It will remain close.

Originally Posted by JS
No, that type of setup does not need an SD tune. Only cars with huge cams with lots of intake reversion need an SD tune.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JS

I have pulled the IAT which should cause the car to default to simulate a change to -30 and the cars adjusted for it fine.

I have not found any car that doens't respond with better throttle response with SD. As for re-tuning, any change in efficency would require looking at the tune. Since most folks doing them right now have tuning software, that isn't an issue. As with most shops, if you get a tune done, re-tunes are free in most cases.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Guys, what settings exactly do I need to choose to disable the p0102 DTC? Every time I try something it either sets the Check engine, the SES, the code is still logged, or the car simply wont run. I cant figure it out!???! Im gonna need to pass OBD-II inspection with this car. Maybe Ill have to strap on a MAF at inspection time then?

Thanks, -T
Old 10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the same problem that I have...I have just set it for the light not to come on. If you actually disable the code then the computer will think that the MAF is still there, and therefore will not run. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it comes time to pass emissions because the code shows up. I'm sure somebody at HPT knows of a work around...perhaps they will chime in.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Nice stuff guitsboy. Now come over and tune my car for speed density! Damn, i let you use the laptop for a few months and you go crazy with it.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
Nice stuff guitsboy. Now come over and tune my car for speed density! Damn, i let you use the laptop for a few months and you go crazy with it.
ROBBY!!!!! Whats up man! I was wondering if you forgot all about that little laptop of yours. Anyway, yeah, I figured why not make use of it while Ive got it so I just cant leave well enough alone. Learning a **** load from all these guys here, so yeah, i'd be happy to spend a day working on a SD tune for you. Besides, you havnt had a ride in my car yet since the headers / TD's / 4.10s. Shes a beast compared to where she was. Anyway, Swap out those springs yet after the unfortunate mishap? If not, gimme a ring and Ill help you out with them.
-T

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 10-15-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Ya, the car is up and running again with the new crane's and correct shims. Finally got around to fixing it. New plugs in there too. Runs real smooth! How are those gears doing? Down the line i'll go with them but in a 9inch or 12bolt. I was half kidding about the SD tune but If it's really much better i'll think about it. I'll give you a call today. Later.

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
ROBBY!!!!! Whats up man! I was wondering if you forgot all about that little laptop of yours. Anyway, yeah, I figured why not make use of it while Ive got it so I just cant leave well enough alone. Learning a **** load from all these guys here, so yeah, i'd be happy to spend a day working on a SD tune for you. Besides, you havnt had a ride in my car yet since the headers / TD's / 4.10s. Shes a beast compared to where she was. Anyway, Swap out those springs yet after the unfortunate mishap? If not, gimme a ring and Ill help you out with them.
-T
Old 10-16-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry for coming in late. My only question so far is what formula are you using to figure VE? If I remember right, NOGO and Gameovers formulas for VE utilize the MAF. It was said earlier in this thread that VE is derived from IAT and MAP. Sooo is it VE=IAT*Map? If that is the case, all I would need to do is log RPM, IAT, and MAP, put it all on an excel spreadsheet and then plug it into LS1 Edit?
Old 10-16-2004, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

We are calculating out ve based on the LTRIMS. Since we dont have a MAF anymore we arent able to calculate the formula
Old 10-16-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so you are logging LTRM, IAT, Map, and RPM? What is the formula you are using? I looked at the sticky, but didn't see the one you are referring to.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

If you have HPTuners it will all be clear since the TRIMS histogram is ploted in the format of the ve table. All I am logging is map and rpm the software does the rest for me...
Old 10-16-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using autotap and edit. This 2 threads thing is nuts, I'm gonna concentrate on this one.