PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Took computer out now car doesnt run right

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004 | 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Angry Took computer out now car doesnt run right

I took my computer out of my car today when i put it back in it was backfiring and idling rough. Ihad the car dyno tuned at Cartek and they told me that i was able to disconnect the battery and i wouldnt lose the tune. Also i had the diablo tune in the car before it was tuned, i tried putting the tune in but it ran worse, do i need to get it dyno tuned again? any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2004 | 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

you won't lose the tune by removing the PCM or disconnecting the battery.. you're prolly going through the Idle relearn (there are parameters the PCM learns from being in use) Once the car learns how to idle again should be fine (couple driving cycles and it should have everything pretty well relearned)
Old 12-05-2004 | 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

how about my revlimiter and speedo will it relearn those also? thanks for the quick reply.
Old 12-05-2004 | 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Speedo and speed limiter are not learned, they are programmed in. They won't change (unless the car is tuned). But the canned Predator tune...that should have overwritten a lot of what they had done, which would make your car run like crap. Any tuning that is done to your PCM is permanent (flash memory stays there, power or no power), unless it is overwritten (by something like a Predator, or the dealership, or another tune). It is normal for a car that was tuned to run like crap for awhile until things like LTFTs are re-learned. Especially with the crap these people are passing off as "professional tunes". You can pull the battery on my PCM and plug it back in, and you would never know the difference.
Old 12-05-2004 | 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

so i have to get the car tuned again? the rev limiter was set to 6800 and the predator will only go 6600, i can change the speedo with the diablo. I took the diablo tune out will it still mess up what Cartek did?
Old 12-05-2004 | 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sickss228
so i have to get the car tuned again? the rev limiter was set to 6800 and the predator will only go 6600, i can change the speedo with the diablo. I took the diablo tune out will it still mess up what Cartek did?
I have no idea. I don't know how the Predator works. Does anybody out there know how that thing works? Does it store the settings that it changes so it goes right back to what you had before?
Old 12-05-2004 | 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It stores everything
Old 12-05-2004 | 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

How do I retrieve the tune that Cartek did if i loaded the predator while my car was stock? Wont it keep loading the stock tune, i havent touched it until yesterday thats when all the problems started, the predator didnt say it was saving the tune that was in the car, so iguess it thinks i have the stock tune still?? thanks for the help
Old 12-05-2004 | 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like the predator is overwriting the calibration section of the PCM w/its own values... and since it only backs up the PCM on initial tune... I'm afraid your cartek tune may be gone

I read this over briefly the other night... but didn't see that you applied your predator tune on it ... the initial poor idling characteristics was probably idle relearn... but when you reflashed with the predator .. sounds like it overwrote the calibration section of the PCM
Old 12-06-2004 | 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the help, looks like I have to get it tuned again, I am a Marine stationed at Camp Lejuene NC, should I wait until i go on leave around christmas and get it tuned at Cartek or is there any good shops in NC, Cartek is an excellent shop but if I can find a shop around here I'll probably do that.
Old 12-06-2004 | 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Why did you try to put the Preditor tune in after you had it proffesionally tuned by Cartek?
Old 12-06-2004 | 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Because I bought the car to Cartek with the diablo tune in it, when i was truing to sell the programmer it said it was still locked to my car so i restored the stock setting, then it wasnt idling right so i put the tune back in it and it ran worse, so i restored it again, it drives good still, just the idle, speedo, and rev limiter is off, do you thinkthat i might have just erased the speedo cal, and rev limiter, I think the pcm is still on the learning curve for the idle??
Old 12-06-2004 | 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
sounds like the predator is overwriting the calibration section of the PCM w/its own values... and since it only backs up the PCM on initial tune... I'm afraid your cartek tune may be gone

I read this over briefly the other night... but didn't see that you applied your predator tune on it ... the initial poor idling characteristics was probably idle relearn... but when you reflashed with the predator .. sounds like it overwrote the calibration section of the PCM
That's what I suspected. That sucks.