PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

advice needed about modding and learning to tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005 | 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Default advice needed about modding and learning to tune

I am in a mental predicament and need some advice from someone thats already taken this path. I plan on doing several modifications to my car including heads, headers & full exhaust, cam, and nitrous (in that order.) I already bought the heads and would love to put them in this weekend but Im hesitant to start my modding because I havent yet lined out my tuning choice.... I guess my choices are.. 1) buy a tuner right now, learn to tune, and tune it myself after each mod I make. 2) dont buy a tuner, and get my *** ripped off for having to fork over $500 for a tune after each mod I make. or 3) wait a long *** time until I have enough money saved up to do all the mods and pay to have a tune all at the same time. (that doesnt sound fun does it?) Option #1 is the most appealing, because first of all, my one time payment of $500 lets me own a tuner to use whenever I want, and not only do I get that, but I get to learn how to tune in the process. However, I have never in my life tuned a car and dont know jack about parameters etc. A little insight maybe? Is this just a trial and error kinda thing or what? For example, could I just throw my heads on, start changing parameters one at a time (a little at a time), and be successful? im confoolzed....thanks
Old 01-06-2005 | 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pbjones81
I am in a mental predicament and need some advice from someone thats already taken this path. I plan on doing several modifications to my car including heads, headers & full exhaust, cam, and nitrous (in that order.) I already bought the heads and would love to put them in this weekend but Im hesitant to start my modding because I havent yet lined out my tuning choice.... I guess my choices are.. 1) buy a tuner right now, learn to tune, and tune it myself after each mod I make. 2) dont buy a tuner, and get my *** ripped off for having to fork over $500 for a tune after each mod I make. or 3) wait a long *** time until I have enough money saved up to do all the mods and pay to have a tune all at the same time. (that doesnt sound fun does it?) Option #1 is the most appealing, because first of all, my one time payment of $500 lets me own a tuner to use whenever I want, and not only do I get that, but I get to learn how to tune in the process. However, I have never in my life tuned a car and dont know jack about parameters etc. A little insight maybe? Is this just a trial and error kinda thing or what? For example, could I just throw my heads on, start changing parameters one at a time (a little at a time), and be successful? im confoolzed....thanks
Buy the tuner. Mod later. Do not pay for a tune. Even the good tunes I see have something bad in them. At least if there is something bothering you about your tune, then you can change it. It will be much cheaper in the long run to tune it yourself, even if you spend an hour or two on the dyno.
Old 01-06-2005 | 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am on the same path as you right now and I can tell you it is much more rewarding doing everything yourself. I spend countless hours on the internet reading and learning, but it will payoff in the long run.

The only thing that I would change about your plan is to do the headers and exhaust first, then the cam and heads, then the nitrous. I would buy the programmer of choice when you buy the headers and exhaust. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-06-2005 | 08:20 PM
Teching In

im in your situation right now also. myself, ive decided to purchase a tuner that way i can tune my car to my specs after each mod.and if i dont like the tunes i made i can always change them. plus i must also suggest that you purchase a k&n filtercharger intake system. it'll give you about 15hp and you can feel th e gain in the throtle.