PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips VIN locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you saved the stock file, then you should be fine.

Ryan
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did. The stock tune was in the Superchips box when my car was tuned 9 months ago. The guy saved the Superchips tune as a .bin file (from my car's PCM) and gave it to me on disk.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Default As horist had indicated ... it worked ...

The Superchips file was dumped back to the car. This allowed me to set my car back to the stock tune, which took it out of the Superships handheld tuner and then I brought the tuner home and tuned my wife's 2002 Trans Am to test it and then set her car back to stock, which in turn, freed up the handheld again.

As horist and slow had indicated ... it worked ... seems the device is not VIN-locked. It's, that, the stock tune is locked to the vehicle's specific VIN Number. Until the stock tune is dumped back the original PCM it was extrcated from, it's unusable.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

glad it worked out for you

Ryan
Old 01-22-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

... thanks man. Your input is appreciated, Ryan.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:21 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Well, on the first tune, the Superchips .bin was saved to disk. This weekend, it's getting flashed back to my PCM. After the communications exchange between the PCM and the handheld, (car back to stock) I'm having the PCM re-flashed with my current tune. This will put everything back to normal. To test it, I'll flash my wife's Trans Am with the handheld ... to test it ... should work OK.
BTYW, slightly off topic, but wouldn't you think that Superchips has saved programs/tunes for virtually every LS1 setup imaginable. For example, there must be a 1000 guys like me with a 150 shot and identical tune.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Superchips standard handheld tuners are designed to only really works on stock vehicles, with modifications limited to intake and exhaust, and gear modifications.

These units cannot be custom programmed by their dealers for other modifications. They do offer some that are custom programmed for the ls1 vehicles only, but the tuning is done through superchips, not their dealers.

Their product line is designed to be a warehoused retail product.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

I only live 5 miles from their facility and they won't give me the time-of-day. Anytime I've asked them to do anything they basically acted like they were above even speaking with me ... maybe I just spoke with the wrong people. However, it seems to be their general mentality. I'm sure there are good people who work there, but, I sure wish I would get one of them on the phone when I call or one of them who would return my email or my calls when I take 45 minutes to fill out their custom tuning form. I think maybe they've just gotten too big to help common people like myself.

Quick Reply: Superchips VIN locked