Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Points

Searched and found a lot of threads that mentioned uping the rev limit, but none that say anthing about shift points after raising the rev limiter and shift rpm. I am tuning the A4 for a cam and I am thinking to have it shift at 6400 and have the limiter set to 6500.

But what about shift mph/shift points? Do I have to mess with this or should I just change the shift rpm and leave it at that?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shift rpms at your 6350, and revlimiter at 6500, would work, remember the trans takes a while for the shift, so you dont want your limiter too close to the shift commanded rpm limit. it will tap it if you have a high horsepower car
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nogo gave some good tips on tranny tuning a while back...tune the 1-2 on mph and 2-3 on rpm...meaning for the 1-2 shift set your rpms lower say 6000 rpms and your mph youd adjust a little at a time till your dead on to what you want to be...and like wait4me said even when you tune rpm its not going to shift dead on...you might notice that you set the 2-3 to shift at 6000 and it doesnt shift till 6300 which is pretty normal...shift point settings can be pretty time consuming to get perfect seeing that if your at the track going wot your tranny will get hotter and will slip more.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true, The only reason why i dont worry about first is becuase if you set up the speed, or rpms on first, too much, is because the car normally breaks the tires loose in first and with the tires spinning reports a higher mph than the car is going so it shifts early if it breaks loose
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i first started doing tuning on my 98 at the track i realized it was going to be damn hard to get thee perfect shift points...when i got to the track my tranny temp was at like 150 but as the night went on the tranny temps kept going up and up due to heat soak and such...it i think it hit 200 degrees obviously theres going to be more slippage at that point and i would end up with lower then wanted shift points under normal driving conditions but then when i hit the track towards the end of the night it would be perfect...not a big fan of setting up shift points lol as imo its very hard for them to be consistant run after run after run at high rpms btw mine would shift at 6700 with a 6800rpm rev limiter in the end