PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

idiot light

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idiot light

I did a search on the 'oil change' light and saw what other had to say, yet I still have my own questions.
This is my 3rd 'bird. Started with Formula, then T/A, now WS6. Up until now I have never had the light come on.
I had the oil changed (Mobil 1), just a tick over a 1000 miles ago. WTF?! I am wondering if the dealer didn't put enough oil in when they did the service. Why would or should the light come on after 100 miles and maybe 4 weeks of driving?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe the light wasn't reset so the computer thinks the oil hasn't been changed yet.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1
Maybe the light wasn't reset so the computer thinks the oil hasn't been changed yet.
Bingo. This happens all the time, especially if the light wasnt on when you brought it in... The oil life monitor is based off of RPM time and temperature calculations between oil changes. You have to tell the computer when there is new oil. The monitor can not automagicly sense the new oil. The dealer probably neglected to reset the counter. My car has a "low oil" light as well, look for it when you first start your car and the gauges flash.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Cool.
Make sense. Thanks.