Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is BS3 worth the extra cash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is BS3 worth the extra cash?

I am looking at three options right now.

Optioin one...I use HPT right now so get their SD support package and tune away with SD for my boosted car.

Option two...Use mega squirt and be able to run low imp injectors, target A/F, and a few otehr goodies with an awsome price tag.

Option three...SHell out the big bucks and buy a stand alone like BS3 and go all out.

But the question is, is a stand alone realy that much greater compared to the rest of the others? Is it worth the extra 2k over mega squirt and HPT?

Rick
Old 02-06-2005, 11:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

How much boost are you planning to run?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

Keith, I am trying to run between 10-15 psi. Somewhere in there is where I will stay. THe thing is, power wise, will I need a bigger injector past 60lbs, and if I do, then I will need to go low imp. And I need a box for that. So not sure how I want to approach the whole things yet.

rick
Old 02-07-2005, 03:24 AM
9 Second Club

they have RC 75s high impedence, I think it would be pretty cool to see a two or three bar map setup like what the HPtuners offers. Haven't heard much about the mega squirt yet, and I know BS3 is made by the creators of FAST and accel DFI and is totally plug and play, which is awesome, I think the fact you can use wide band sensors to target AFR, make it worth it to me right there. I plan on getting BS3 when I go boost, another major reason is I will need 160# injectors....

if you don't mind RC 75s and they will support your HP level then HPtuners makes a nice choice, and to say you make X amount of power with a stock pcm is awesome.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

I already knew about the RC 75 injectors. Its the fact they cost 800+ bucks. I woul rather save some cash and go low imp and dump the cash into the Mega or the BS3. You should look back at Parish's posts about the Mega. Its actually realy need. It also does target A/F as well, and I Think you can build everything for about less than 500 bucks.

Rick
Old 02-07-2005, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

great info, now another thing to think about is the limitation of the maf, and map sensors, I know harlan built his own injector converter box with a custom pro-m maf meter with some trickey to the stock computer, most of us are not that skilled hehe
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you go with HPTuners, you can ditch the MAF and tune the boosted setup via speed density. This way you avoid dealing with the MAF altogether.
Honda's come stock with the injector impedance converter- guys over there run them all the time in boosted setups. I don't see why you would spend so much $$ on injectors. How much HP are you planning on making? I've seen 60lb injectors for sale on a semi regular basis, and they would easily handle most setups.

I'd go with HP Tuners. They have tons of support and nothing can hold a candle to the stock PCM in terms of engineering.

Ben
Old 02-07-2005, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Rick,

The major pro's a BS3 system has over ours..
You can tune live.. no need to turn off the engine.
Live AFR update using a wide band input.

These are the 2 features we do not have with our 2 or 3 bar products.

The major features with our 2bar product.
No need to rewire the car.
All existing gauges and sensors work.
Much more powerful computer running your engine.
More resolution across the board in all tables.
More parameters to tune with. Makes it easier to fine tune engine characteristics.
You can use the same product that most of the LS1 tuning community uses. This makes it easy to navigate through the software while talking to other users of our product.

There is much more things I could list but those are the major differences I think that seperate our product from an aftermarket system.

If you do use our 2bar product I highly recomend purchasing the Enhnaced IO interface and installing a wide band sensor.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say stick with the stock pcm unless your converting to a race car.

plus those 60's and alky will carry you you pretty far.

I say go buy the 60's another fuel pump and the 2bar and have at it.

run with 700hp for a while reliably before thinking 1,000.

my $.02
Old 02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nickn20
great info, now another thing to think about is the limitation of the maf, and map sensors, I know harlan built his own injector converter box with a custom pro-m maf meter with some trickey to the stock computer, most of us are not that skilled hehe

another guy also taked to me about the Pro M MAFs were they measure volts instead of HZ's so its harder to max them out because they can be built around your injector size. But no matter what at this point where my project sits, its going to take alot to get where I want to go. I am still leaning towards the HPT SD side because I have all the software already.

rick
Old 02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackbird
i would say stick with the stock pcm unless your converting to a race car.

plus those 60's and alky will carry you you pretty far.

I say go buy the 60's another fuel pump and the 2bar and have at it.

run with 700hp for a while reliably before thinking 1,000.

my $.02

I am ditching the racetronix pump I got and going a full fuel system from front to back. Rails, tank, lines, regulator, ect. I am not running out of fuel, I am determined not too.

Rick
Old 02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If you shooting for 500-700rwhp I would stay stock pcm, and do the HPT. And I have a BS3 in my car. Used to have a FAST before that.

Two years ago when I bought my FAST the stock pcm could not be used to tune a car like mine.

Now the stock pcm can be used.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pro-m that are measured in voltage are for ford systems that use 5 volts as the max output.

they can flow whatever #/hour they're calibrated for. Personally i avoid them at all costs, too inconsistant. But the larger #/minute requirements you may have, it may be the only option available.

Ryan
Old 02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i like my mega, it has on the fly tuning and af targeting. right now i am just doing fuel(and fans, fuel pump, nitrous) and the cost was about $200. probably another $3-400 to do timing so i just kept the stock pcm doing timing. my last trip to the dyno i saw 600+rwhp and 800+rwtq.