PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is not buying the EIO cable a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is not buying the EIO cable a mistake?

I am buying HP Tuners tommorow, but I can't quite justify the extra expense of a wideband and the cable. My car is pretty lightly modded, only big thing is a converter. My buddy who's going in on it with me has headers and is running pig rich. I was wondering if the base level HP Tuners will be able to give me some data just to get a decent tune for my buddy? Also it'd be great to know how my car is doing.

Am I making a mistake not buying the EIO?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Yes the enhanced ieo is an extra expense as well as the wideband set-up to go with it , you should be able to get you're cars tune close using the narrow band 02's on you’re cars if they are in good condition .
You could always get the afr's checked on a dyno by a tuner afterwards to make sure the afr's at wot are ok .
One thing to remember is that the narrow band 02's are good at measuring afr's at around 14.6:1 but from what i have read are not that accurate at the afr's you would want at wot.
As for myself i did the exchange for the enhanced ieo set-up as soon as it came out and bought a wideband set-up .
Either way i was happy with it and i think you will be to .

Last edited by Holden LS1 Tonner; 03-14-2005 at 06:26 AM. Reason: incorect info
Old 03-14-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can always buy the regular version now, and then just upgrade to EIO later if you need it. the wideband is another 300+ bucks plus the extra 150 for EIO. it adds up quick.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great, thanks guys. Time to burn some credit card.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you can always upgrade at a later date if you decide you need it.

You should consider buying the EIO if you fall into these catagories..

1) You are an advanced tuner and have tuning experience. Chances are one day you will want to monitor wide band data real time.

2) You own a boosted vehicle. With the amount of $$$ you have into your setup, its a great idea to monitor the air/fuel ratio with a wide band and our EIO unit to make sure you are within your desired air/fuel ratio range.

3) You are purchasing our 2bar product. If you are purchasing our 2bar product to tune a boosted vehicle you are probably making some serious power. In this case it is also highly recomended you use a wide band O2 meter with an EIO to verify that your air/fuel ratio is in your safety zone.

4) You are new to tuning but you do wish to use a wide band unit. Having our standard interface and a seperate wide band setup will work but it makes it a lot easier on your end when you can integrate your wide band output directly into our software.

5) You like the idea of programmable outputs. Our EIO unit has 2 programmable outputs commanded by the scan tool. You can control relays, LED's, etc. etc.. and can command them based on any scannable parameter (including WB data). For example, you could command 1 LED to turn on when you receive knock retard and a second LED to turn on when your car is too lean, or you are at WOT... or you could command a LED/Relay to stay on while your air/fuel ratio is within a certain range. There are many different options you can do.

If you do not fit into one of these catagories but do at a later date you can upgrade to the EIO interface.

www.hptuners.com

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 03-14-2005, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally recommend it to anyone whos considering tuning their own car...people go out and spend $700 for cam/springs, or $1500-2000 for heads, or $1000 on some stainless headers, why not spend $1000 on something that could save your motor down the line ie enhanced e/o & wideband o2...with the release of the LC-1 it will be even cheaper then that. My .02 but its dumb not to know what a/f your running on the street.