PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is HP Tuners for me? Please Advise

Old 03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is HP Tuners for me? Please Advise

Hey everyone. First I'd like to say that I've learned a great deal about f-bodies since I purchased my car in '02 from this site and the "other" site.

I think I've finally assembled the perfect combination of parts for me, but now I'm on the fence about tuning.

I'm a quick learner, the first time I ever turned a wrench on an f-body was during my header install, but I've since become much more aquainted with my car.

Anyways, I'm planning on a TCI SSF3500 really soon, and a TR224 shortly after that. Many people have had a great deal of success with TSP's mail order tune, so I was just considering paying the 275 and going that route.

My question is this: Should I pick up a copy of HP Tuners and learn to do this myself? Is the interface user friendly? I've done several searches and have done a lot of reading, but have no hands on experience with any tuning software.

I'd also like to hear some first time tuning stories (good and bad) and how many of you have stuck with it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-15-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Installing headers and tuning EFI is two entirely different sports. Best thing you could do is buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell it.

FWIW, I use Flashscan, the GUI is top notch, the software is intuitive (works the way you think it should), and overall I think it was money well spent. From what I hear of the HPT masses, HPT has all the same qualities.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply. I know tuning is totally different ball game, I just wanted to know if it was something I could pick up fairly easily. The header comment was just to show that I'm not real worried about getting in over my head.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy it, it's worth it. It pays off in the long run, you will learn a ton about your car, and once you learn what you're doing you can give yourself a much better tune than most tuners out there.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

I would think without a wide band o2 or EGT you'll have a difficult time properly tuning for WOT. Bascially you can add the cost of that on top of any software you buy or pay for dyno time otherwise IMO you're just guessing and that's certainly not doing better than a pro with the right equipment will do.
I would think it's going to take quite some time to not only learn the software but learn how to actually tune, especially if you've never done it before. If you want the car up and running quick IMO you're far better off taking the car to someone who makes a living at this and has tuned hundreds or perhaps thousands of cars similar to yours. Of course you will pay but you're car will be tuned within an hour or two and if done by a good tuner will be about as close to perfect as you're gonna get. Considering that 224 cam is so popular I'd be willing to bet most tuners have seen alot of them and can tune for it fairly quickly and accurately. Then again by the same token there are probably plenty of guys with HPT & that cam who can help you out.

The upside to owning your own sotware is you can do some tweaking on your own for things like idle speed, converter lockup, etc..and you'll have the ability to log data for driveability problems.

just my .02

Search this Thread