Sponsored by:

PCM reset and idle took a while to relearn

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM reset and idle took a while to relearn

I had my battery disconnected for a couple of hours and the PCM reset itself. I have not had this car very long so I had never done this before. My car is an all stock 2001 M6. I started the car and it would barely idle, it never stalled but swung up and down constantly. I went driving and lived with the crappy idle until it warmed up when suddenly it idled totally normally.

Is this normal for a stock vehicle? I thought the default settings wouldn't have such a tough time idling when the vehicle is stock. It must **** people off getting their cars serviced at a garage if the battery gets disconnected.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal... the car's learning to idle again ... gets to be a pain in the *** when you put a cam in it heh

but that is normal behavior ...

As for pissing people off after getting their cars services... i dunno... when My car was stock I had it in to the dealership twice ... for warranty... both times car ran fine when I got it back... and clock was correct ... so not sure if they just didn't disconnect the battery (if you know what you're doing this is not always necessary... it's a safety precaution .. but it's not done for every repair) or if they did the idle relearn....
Old 03-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

I noticed it when I reset the PCM when my car was stock but I wouldn't say that it was all that bad. With my cam and current setup I still havent got the idle tuned out right so Iannoying trying to keeping it at Idle while its relearning.
It doesn't take it to long to balance back out.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured if a stock cam was this bad it must be a nightmare for guys with lumpy cams. My personal experience is with OBD1 stuff on my Buick GN where there is no idle learning so the IAC does its job perfectly all the time, at least as good as it ever does that is.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

I just got my car out of storage yesterday after sitting for 4 months with the battery disconnected. It started right up but wouldn't idle, died after 20-30 seconds despite whacking the throttle a bit. After starting it the 2nd time it idled fine and was normal after running about 5 mins. Horist my clock was wrong but all my presets for the radio were still there ? wierd -lol

Quick Reply: PCM reset and idle took a while to relearn