PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Ignition and Fuel Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Ignition and Fuel Systems?

Hi folks,

The big question yet to be decided: Which ignition and fuel system for this clean-slate build?

The engine decision is made...well, mostly. The car will get a 402 LS2, but I may go sleeved for bigger cubes. Other features include solid-roller, dry-sump, forged internals, FAST 90 intake and TB, AFR 225, 11.1 C/R for 91 octane, reasonable cam. I am shooting for between 600 and 700 crank HP with 500 to 550 torque.

The application is a closed-circuit racecar that is also street-legal. It's not an OBD-II car, but a type of kit car. No cats will be needed due to no emissions testing required. There will be an A/C pump, alternator, oil sump pump, and water pump on the belt (yes, air conditioning). Also, I live at 5,500' elevation. The car will operate at above 4,000' most of the time.

This a ground-up build. I don't have any components yet, so there's a lot of flexibility in the design. The short/long block will be built by one of the sponsors, then I will do the rest of the bolt-ons in my garage.

This is my first go at this, but I have reasonable experience working with head/cam swaps and all types of other weekend mechanic duties on my LT1 Impala SS. I have the time to learn as I go, but not the money to do things twice. So, I am aksing for some advice regarding the ignition and fuel systems.

Considering that I will most likely not be doing the tune myself, what would you suggest for controlling fuel injection and ignition? From what I have read, the FAST systems looks very user-friendly and there are lots of experienced folks that can work with it. I guess a stock PCM is an option, with the soon-to-be-released tuners coming out. BigStuff3 sounds very interesting, but it seems a of a challenge to find information about it.

Please let me know what other information is required to arrive at a logical choice, but also feel free to make some assumptions because it's all on paper right now. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am chomping at the bit to get this started and these system choices are the last major design considerations. I hope to get the ball rolling next week.

Thanks,

Last edited by Builder; 05-01-2005 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Revised.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong forum?