Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Problem-Optispark Distr. Unit? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Problem-Optispark Distr. Unit? HELP

(New member to LS1Tech) I have a 1993 Camaro Z28 (5.7ltr LT1) that is now having performance problems. The vehicle has a major loss in power, knocks and pings on acceleration. The problem first started a few weeks ago where the problem intermittantly cut-in and out, especially when accelerating to highway speeds. Now the problem occurs all the time, worse when warmed-up. I changed the spark plugs and wires, oil (synthetic),filter,and ignition module. While investigating further, I found that I was not getting a spark on the #2 output of the Distributor. There are no codes stored. Has anyone had the same problem or could someone give me insight into whether it's definately the distributor or something else that's causing these symptoms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
Old 05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

If anything the cap and rotor would need to be replaced, not the whole distributor. You would really need to pull it apart to see. Since those caps are so hard to remove they hardly ever get changed. I have seen quite a few ignition problems found underneath the cap on older LT1 engines. If you already replaced the ignition module that pretty much rules anything else out. It's not an easy task but I don't see what else it could be. Good Luck!

I just wanted to add that when you pull off the rotor take extra care in noticing how the cam sensor reluctor ring is positioned behind it. If it is not put back exactly the way it came out then it will cause even bigger problems.

Last edited by poolshark021; 05-05-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, Poolshark021, I just picked up a distr. cap & rotor kit from the GM dealer. I just arrived home from work and am waiting for the engine to cool down before I dive in. I have Saturday off from work so we'll see what I find tonight and how things work-out Saturday. I'll keep updating this site.
Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I found carbon tracks in the distibutor cap from the #2 output to the #1. Also I noticed that the old cap had a raised "groove", if you will, that actually caused the carbon track to develop. Not a good design. Can't tell whether the cap was original or previously replaced. The new AC Delco cap's design has raised lines, like horse shoes, around each pin, to help prevent the tracks from forming and causing this problem. The knocking/pinging was therefore caused by the advanced #2 spark occuring in the #1 cylinder. Thanks again for the info and help!
Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Glad to see you got it taken care of. Your right, that wasn't a very brilliant design. I have seen a bunch of those caps cause ignition problems. It' too bad you have to go through so much trouble just to change the cap and rotor.