Sponsored by:

Timing help with HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Timing help with HPTuners

Hello,
I have an 04 GTO M6 running the base STS kit with the 60-1, 42lb/hr injectors, and methanol injection (using wiper fluid), 6psi. I also have an LM1 wideband and HPTuners.

I have been playing with the tuning on this thing for a while, and for some reason I can't seem to get any more than 14 degrees of timing at WOT. I would think I should be able to run at least 17* with this setup. My AFR runs in the mid to high 11s. I am running NGK TR6s as well gapped at .032". It seems like no matter how I alter my timing table, it always wants to pull about 5* at WOT. What I'm wondering is, in HPTuners Scanner, under Knock Retard, when it's showing you the live KR, is that number only in reguard to timing pulled due to knock, or will that also reflect timing due to other sensors, such as ECT and IATs?

Best ET is 12.8 @112, best MPH is 114. Seems like I should be getting more out of her.

Any thoughts? I may try TR7s...
Old 05-20-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

knock retard will pull timing, but it also pushes you closer to the low octane tables... the PCM doesn't use the high octane and low octane tables in binary (meaning one or the other)

It uses knock amongst other things to learn what the maximum timing is, if it keeps seeing knock it will push you closer to the low octane tables until it stops seeing knock.

The PCM will also pull timing if the IAT is very hot, ECT is cold or very hot
Old 05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GTOs stock tables start pulling timing with anything over 80* on the IAT.

What my main question is, when you're scanning in HPTuners, the "KR*" value, does the number shown here when you're scanning reflect ONLY the timing being pulled do to knock itself, or will it also show timing being pulled by high IATs, ECTs, etc.