Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPX diagnositic equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SPX diagnositic equipment

I was told i can use one of these to Tune/diagnose problems with my car? I posted this on HPTuners also. Anyone know what it is or what i can do with it? I know 2 things about it. It uses Lynx OS(my fathers company) to do something. And it is a standalone system.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

probably referring to an SPX/OTC genysis. it is an automotive scanner,that graphs,so i f you want to see an oxygen sensor signal,or what timing you are running,02 milllivolts or whatever,it comes in handy. i have had one for a few years and haven't regretted it once

Brian
Old 05-21-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah, good ole genisys, I have one also i use every once in a while if i dont want to use the tec2.. It is a very nice scanner and the screen is big enough to see alot of info.. But it is not a stand alone programmer.. it can be used with Sps expertech tis2000, but it is just a "pass thru" type of programmer, meaning that you need to run the software on your laptop, then plug in the scanner via serial port, then the genisys needs pluged into the diagnostic port, kind of a pain really to have to bring it all with you..
It is pretty big and bulky..
Getting a programmer like efilive or eqivalent is deffinatly the way to go. the scanners do more than the genisys and the programming options are awsome.
With sps you can only flash a controller to a factory calibration, "unless you hack the bin yourself and use a dps prog.

You can check out a free software trial at www.efilive.com if you want to see what the software looks like,
and the genisys is at www.otctools.com
Old 05-21-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the stuff im getting is kinda not avaliable to the public. I dont know exactly what it is. But from what I understand after talking to my father about it. It is able to do thoose things. Or maybe my father is wrong and it is a general Genysis. Ill know in 2 weeks.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, the only stuff he can use on it is Dps, Developmental programming system, or sps, But the Dps, You need the bootloaders and sometimes the flash takes a crap in the middle of the write, and you have to pull the chip to fix it.. Also, You need some Source of the bin file locations, I have a ton of DBF file info, For a ton of platforms, But even then sometimes its a pain to fix all the checksums "unless you have a prog that does it for you If you need a location or two, ill let you know where they are, anything from 87 up..
Old 05-21-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah its not dps stuff. My father is a manager at Lynuxworks. A company that sells a real time operating system called Lynx OS. Very high end. one of his underlings, has a SPX system of some kind which they were modifing to work with Lynx OS. Anyways, from my understanding SPX makes OBD-2 computers, This is some new stuff that they are comming out with to tune OBD-2 computers. Iono if this is true or not but its what ive been informed. Ill just be happy if i can get my rear gears changed.=)
Old 05-21-2005, 10:17 PM
wrencher

SPX also makes the DRB-III, the chrysler OE scan tool.
It is the most expensive OE tool out there. It's over $7000 unless sold to a chrysler service center.

Quick Reply: SPX diagnositic equipment