PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i permenantly clear/delete a SES code???

Old 05-31-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i permenantly clear/delete a SES code???

I have HP tuners. I am wondering how to go about clearing a code p1416, that came on a few days ago. I have researched the code and realize that it deals with the AIR system, and would replace the small valve involved, but i plan to remove AIR and EGR fairly soon anyway, and I dont see a point in spending money to maintain a system i plan to remove fairly soon. I am wondering what steps i must take using hp tuners to permanently remove this code from reappearing. If i just clear it, it will come back, and that will continue to **** me off. Any help would be greatly apprreciated!!

Thanks,
Nathan.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Launching!

What's up Nathan? Basically as I understand it, you want to:

Go to Edit>Engine Diagnostic’s>DTC’s>Error Mode = 3 (no error reported) for each code. and
Edit>Engine Diagnostic’s>DTC’s>SES Enabled = Off for each code.

It's probably redundant doing both of those. I think some people just set it to no error reported and be done with it, but oh well. Here are the codes you'll need to delete:

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Perf
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Ckt Low Volt
P0410 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System
P0412 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Solenoid Relay Contr
P0418 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Relay Control C
P1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position Pe
P1415 Air System Bank 1
P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2

There might be more, someone feel free to jump in and correct me if need be. Also I can't remember if you said you were going with cats or not...if not here's the codes to delete so you won't have to worry about sims:

137 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
138 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
140 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
141 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
157 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
158 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
160 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2
161 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

Well you didn't ask for all of the codes, I guess, but there they are and your 1416 code is covered. Hell, it will help me out when I go to tune because I can just look up my own posts and find this.

Also when deleting the EGR there's a spark advance table for the EGR system. Since it adds cooler air into the cylinder, it advances timing a bit under certain situations where the system would be most active. Well, you wont have this happening anymore so you'll need to zero the table. I think someone said there's also some way to just make the PCM ignore the table's existance and not add timing, but you might as well zero it as well for peace of mind. I may be wrong. Keep in mind I've never had tuners in front of me and all I know is regurgetated information!

I'm almost ready to come down and try to figure out how to tune my own when you get a chance. I may get my pulley on tomorrow, and that will end my mods for awhile hopefully. I won't be free this weekend, maybe next, gotta tend bar in Manhattan on Saturday for some wedding and make some mad cash...pretty excited about that. I'll get a hold of you somehow and try to set up something when the time comes, but I am getting closer to what I need to have done before I tune. Hopefully there will also be some festivities of sorts going on there in Wichita when I come down! (was fun last time) Later on man.

--rush

Last edited by rush7; 06-01-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rush7
What's up Nathan? Basically as I understand it, you want to:

Go to Edit>Engine Diagnostic’s>DTC’s>Error Mode = 3 (no error reported) for each code. and
Edit>Engine Diagnostic’s>DTC’s>SES Enabled = Off for each code.

It's probably redundant doing both of those. I think some people just set it to no error reported and be done with it, but oh well. Here are the codes you'll need to delete:

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Perf
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Ckt Low Volt
P0410 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System
P0412 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Solenoid Relay Contr
P0418 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Pump Relay Control C
P1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position Pe
P1415 Air System Bank 1
P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2

There might be more, someone feel free to jump in and correct me if need be. Also I can't remember if you said you were going with cats or not...if not here's the codes to delete so you won't have to worry about sims:

137 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
138 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
140 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
141 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
157 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
158 - HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
160 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2
161 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

Well you didn't ask for all of the codes, I guess, but there they are and your 1416 code is covered. Hell, it will help me out when I go to tune because I can just look up my own posts and find this.

Also when deleting the EGR there's a spark advance table for the EGR system. Since it adds cooler air into the cylinder, it advances timing a bit under certain situations where the system would be most active. Well, you wont have this happening anymore so you'll need to zero the table. I think someone said there's also some way to just make the PCM ignore the table's existance and not add timing, but you might as well zero it as well for peace of mind. I may be wrong. Keep in mind I've never had tuners in front of me and all I know is regurgetated information!

I'm almost ready to come down and try to figure out how to tune my own when you get a chance. I may get my pulley on tomorrow, and that will end my mods for awhile hopefully. I won't be free this weekend, maybe next, gotta tend bar in Manhattan on Saturday for some wedding and make some mad cash...pretty excited about that. I'll get a hold of you somehow and try to set up something when the time comes, but I am getting closer to what I need to have done before I tune. Hopefully there will also be some festivities of sorts going on there in Wichita when I come down! (was fun last time) Later on man.

--rush
rush, man you rock. You dont even have hptuners, yet you know more about it then me!! Kick ***. Well, I can't tune for awhile, cause my laptop's harddrive went to ****, and stopped working, but i should have it back in like 2 wks. If you have a laptop with a serial port though, then bring that and we can get er' going. else wise, its gonna be a bit before i get to tuning again. I have some shitty luck. The day after my laptop goes to ****, my car throws a code!! also, I want to save your base tune, so I can use it, since I lost my base tune when my laptop's harddrive kicked the bucket! Give me a holler and we'll set somethin up!

Nathan
Old 06-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Launching!

LOL...I don't know that much, I make myself sound like a moron in many other posts!

Only thing about my tune is I'm running around with an M6 and yours is an A4. I don't know if horist has one on his .bin repository site or not. Check one of his stickys at the top of the tuning forum for the link. As for me, my laptop doesn't have an outright serial port. I have one of the USB to serial adapters and it's some off brand. There's been discussions before about those things and their unreliability. I used to have a Belkin adapter and that crashed autotap all the time with communication errors. Autotap doesn't crash with this new one, but I don't want to risk frying my PCM because the communication stopped in the middle of a reflash. I'll just wait for the ability to tune with an actual serial port Two more weeks ain't much, I've been driving around with an SES light for 6 months now!

It does kind of suck to have those damn computers crash on you though. Hopefully that works out, and shoot me a PM or something when you get everything squared away. Later, man.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

im actually not sure that it will matter being that yours is an m6, cause mine has m6 settings as well. but I would be able to tell the minute i saw it hooked up to hptuners anyway. Its not big deal, but since i did change my shifting, i would like to have the default values to go back to if i needed. ill let ya know when i get the laptop up and running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i permenantly clear/delete a SES code???