Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idling

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling

I thought I'd share my idle tuning experiences in case others are having similar issues. Ever since I had my Yank converter installed my car had a surging problem. It did this a little after the cam install, but I was able to tune that out. At the track it would eve die after a couple passes. It was BAD!

I tried just about everything. I even spent 8 hours SD tuning. Everytime I thought I had it nailed down, I'd go start it a few hours later & the surging was back. Except the last time when it was fine until I took it to the track. Then it idled like **** again.

So, I gave up & put my TB blade with the big hole in it back on, and that helped. But it still wasn't perfect. I did some logging & found the O2 sensors were reading low, reading down around 200mV about half the time at idle. The Bosch & Denso sites say this is an indicator they are going bad so I replaced the O2 sensors. (they were BLACK) All better now. Even after making over 6 passes at the track.

I know a lot of people here say you don't need to drill your TB blade, that you can tweak the IAC etc & make it idle. We couldn't. We'd do some logging & changed things & it would be better, only to revert back. But I think the O2s are the key. If they aren't reading 600-700 at idle, you're probably chasing your tail trying to tune. The PCM bases a lot off what they read.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The O2s should be switching back and forth at idle, not reading a steady voltage.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, but they give you an average voltage (that fluctuates).