PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning idle? hard for the pro's??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hp tuners is 500 bucks, for 2 model years, and you can do as many cars as you want. get some friends to go in with you and make it cheap, you can tune your car 2 times with that and its the price of a custom tune. if u dont have a lap top you can get one thats refurbished or used on ebay pretty cheap, you dont need anything too fancy. i didnt know anything before i bought it and i know a good bit now, it takes learning and trial and error, but if u have questions just search on here for it or ask, no question is stupid, esp when your new to tuning, dont want to mess aynthign up. i had the predator and im SO glad i got rid of it, my car got so much more responsive after i got hp tuners, plus, you can tune it for your liking, not the tuners
Old 06-12-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Another option is a handheld. IMO the best out there is the Vinci.

The mods you have are nearly indentical to some of the prepackaged tunes that come free with the Vinci. Just upload (flash and then fine tune if needed)

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...FO%20PAGE.HTML

However, if you plan to upgrade or do more extensive mods such as a higher stall TQ or Turbo or SC, then the Vinci won't meet your needs.

Find a friend with a laptop. That will save you about $300 - $400.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a shop owner myself, I can say that most of you are right about the majority of the shops out there. I don't act like it's black majic at all, in fact I tell the customer exactly how I plan to handle a certain situation. In defense though, I have tried to keep cars for a while to make sure that all situations are cared for correctly and have a hard time doing this because the customer thinks that you can fix their car in 3 hours and their in a hurry. I have a loading dyno and spend most of my time in drive cycles at part throttle and do mid RPM transistions to WOT. Usually when I'm done with the steady state part of the tune I will then make a couple WOT pulls to insure that all is good. Idle tuning really isn't that hard with mild combinations. The key to the whole thing is "think simple" EFI is not that hard most of the time. There are no substitutes for good tools and troubleshooting techniques!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Teching In

^^^^ Oh, and messing with the throttle body doesn't work anymore with ETC! (drive by wire) You MUST know how and have the correct tools to tune for cams and such now.

Aaron.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

handhelds suck IMO after seeing different tunes, there is so much to work on, one tune wont work for every car, thats why the best bet is tuning yourself. you will spend just about as much on a hand held that doesnt do nearly as much, spend the money right the first time.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
hp tuners is 500 bucks, for 2 model years, and you can do as many cars as you want. get some friends to go in with you and make it cheap, you can tune your car 2 times with that and its the price of a custom tune. if u dont have a lap top you can get one thats refurbished or used on ebay pretty cheap, you dont need anything too fancy. i didnt know anything before i bought it and i know a good bit now, it takes learning and trial and error, but if u have questions just search on here for it or ask, no question is stupid, esp when your new to tuning, dont want to mess aynthign up. i had the predator and im SO glad i got rid of it, my car got so much more responsive after i got hp tuners, plus, you can tune it for your liking, not the tuners
Does HPtuners include an A/F sensor??

I don't know much, but I would think you need to be able to get a A/F reading to be accurate
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

no it doesnt come with it, i assume you mean wideband oxygen sensor right? you can guy one. i dont have one as of yet and i have had no issues with tuning, its not as accurate but then again it also depends on what kind of fueling your set up likes. i like they system i have of doing things and its working out damn good, and has been for a while now.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TruDynoSports
^^^^ Oh, and messing with the throttle body doesn't work anymore with ETC! (drive by wire) You MUST know how and have the correct tools to tune for cams and such now.

Aaron.

where in nc is that? i live over by charlotte
Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Teching In

EDITED: Non-Sponsor contact info removed. Please contact site admins for sponsorship information.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Near Hickory, NC....... Is that ok just for an answer, you can do a search for the name. I know these guys.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
One difference between a tuner and doing it yourself is the tuner won't have your car every day for long periods starting it and driving it in all weather conditions and all motor temp conditions like you will. Not that a tuner doesn't know how or what to do to make the car more driveable. How many hours does an individual spend logging and tweaking when they have their own tuning software vs having a tuner tune your car.
I'll disagree
Someone that can really tune can get all that in 1 visit.When you do all different type's of setup's and really spend your time on them you figure out the basics on each car.Yes,some cars can be harder than other's but that is a real tuners job to figure out.
Our shop does not do the "put the car on the dyno and make a few adjustments"-send them on there way.I alway's run the car on the street and adjust whatever needs to make it run 100% before it even touches the dyno.

Let's keep in mind that someone like myself has spent 100's of hours on the street with scanners hooked up,trying different things and even spend a ton of time at the track to find out what kind of tuning works best.
You guy's can make it like tuners cost way too much -or-won't tune your car right but there are tuner's out there that could be worth the $$
Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 PM
CT Hotness

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'll disagree
Someone that can really tune can get all that in 1 visit.When you do all different type's of setup's and really spend your time on them you figure out the basics on each car.Yes,some cars can be harder than other's but that is a real tuners job to figure out.
Our shop does not do the "put the car on the dyno and make a few adjustments"-send them on there way.I alway's run the car on the street and adjust whatever needs to make it run 100% before it even touches the dyno.

Let's keep in mind that someone like myself has spent 100's of hours on the street with scanners hooked up,trying different things and even spend a ton of time at the track to find out what kind of tuning works best.
You guy's can make it like tuners cost way too much -or-won't tune your car right but there are tuner's out there that could be worth the $$

..and slowhawk is one of them
Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll disagree

So you've never ever had a car you've tuned come back with any problem ever that was related to it's initial tune? That's pretty impressive.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So you've never ever had a car you've tuned come back with any problem ever that was related to it's initial tune? That's pretty impressive.
Of course I have About 95% of the time it is because a customer changed something to there setup.Thats why I offer no charge on changes for a year except dyno time if needed Now,relieze stockish cars like your's are extremely simple to tune.Alot of 10 second cars take alot longer to tune and I keep/drive the cars to make sure they are 100% and alot of times I even go to a track rental with them to get the most out of it.

Another point on tuning is that alot of F-body owners just don't have the time to log everyday and would rather have someone else do it.Not everyone want's to get so technical on tuning
Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
7 Second Club

I don't see why someone would have a problem tuning your setup.They probly missed something or really don't know idle tuning.With the 220 Cam your car should be idling like stock with no lope/surging ect.Alot of people say it's not hard at all but there are some packages that are very difficult to tune at idle like 236+ Cams with 4000stalls

hmmm... when you said hard to tune i **** my pants cause that is exactically what i have in my A4....

I have some logs and tunes that id like you to take a look at if you have the time... me and horist have been bustin our ***** on my car...

Tyler
Old 06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TruDynoSports
Being a shop owner myself, I can say that most of you are right about the majority of the shops out there. I don't act like it's black majic at all, in fact I tell the customer exactly how I plan to handle a certain situation. In defense though, I have tried to keep cars for a while to make sure that all situations are cared for correctly and have a hard time doing this because the customer thinks that you can fix their car in 3 hours and their in a hurry. I have a loading dyno and spend most of my time in drive cycles at part throttle and do mid RPM transistions to WOT. Usually when I'm done with the steady state part of the tune I will then make a couple WOT pulls to insure that all is good. Idle tuning really isn't that hard with mild combinations. The key to the whole thing is "think simple" EFI is not that hard most of the time. There are no substitutes for good tools and troubleshooting techniques!
Man I wish I had come to you whenever I first got my h/c install no-one seems to do part throttle tuning. Now I have hp tuners but I still need to hook it up to a wideband and get some numbers. Where are you located at, any dyno days coming up? Could you pm me some prices and directions from greensboro.
thanks