Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAT/lean codes + 25% LTFT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT/lean codes + 25% LTFT

I have bank 2 cat low efficiency code, a code about lean condition (14.7 AFR) and AIR code. My LTFTs are +25% . I had bank 1 cat go bad on me few months ago. I get a lot of detonation when the weather is warm.

injectors/MAF/O2s/Fuel Filter/Plugs were changed about 7k miles ago. I have racetronix fuel pump/harness.
My only other mods are lid, catback, 160 t-stat/fan switch and catch can.

Can a CAT going bad cause all this mess?

Dealer tech where I took the car to order a new cat was claiming that my lean problems are unrelated to the cat converter, and if anything, I would run richer, not leaner - and that he "recommends" that I let them go through the whole fuel system.

I can replace the cat for free (still under emissions warranty) but going through everything else is going to be costly/time consuming and I was planning to upgrade to a vette within a year so I am reluctant to sink too much $$ into the car...

P.S. AIR code may not have nothing to do with everything else, the bitch was noisy for a while now. It turns on and off as it's supposed to, just noisy.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

if you are getting detonation maybe you are running too lean, you been to the dyno to find out? Be careful about being too lean it could cost you your motor.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I have bank 2 cat low efficiency code, a code about lean condition (14.7 AFR) and AIR code. My LTFTs are +25% . I had bank 1 cat go bad on me few months ago. I get a lot of detonation when the weather is warm.

injectors/MAF/O2s/Fuel Filter/Plugs were changed about 7k miles ago. I have racetronix fuel pump/harness.
My only other mods are lid, catback, 160 t-stat/fan switch and catch can.

Can a CAT going bad cause all this mess?

Dealer tech where I took the car to order a new cat was claiming that my lean problems are unrelated to the cat converter, and if anything, I would run richer, not leaner - and that he "recommends" that I let them go through the whole fuel system.

I can replace the cat for free (still under emissions warranty) but going through everything else is going to be costly/time consuming and I was planning to upgrade to a vette within a year so I am reluctant to sink too much $$ into the car...

P.S. AIR code may not have nothing to do with everything else, the bitch was noisy for a while now. It turns on and off as it's supposed to, just noisy.
Could be a bad air check valve. I don't think a bad converter would cause all this unless it's totally plugged up and then I doubt the car would run very well.

Quick Reply: CAT/lean codes + 25% LTFT