Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car acts up after wash!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car acts up after wash!!! Help

I can't seem to catch this nasty gremlin, Here is the problem everytime after I wash the car it seems to start sputtering and my whole bank2 goes down sometimes it's just cyliner 6 goes dead and raw fuel starts pouring out my exhaust. after a couple days it goes away! and the car runs great i'm guessing it's after it dries up or what not. and it happens again after I wash my car. I thought it was my pcm that is getting wet could this be it? I tried dielectric grease on the harness but I don't think I put enough has anyone ever had this happen to them before? btw when i run into this problem I threw p0300 misfire code and sometimes it throws the injector control circuit code?

Eddie
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you need some dielectric grease on the injector connectors. I would check your plug wires too, maybe try to get it to do it when it's dark out so you can see if it's arcing.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

I'm assuming you're not spraying the engine compartment directly, right? First thing I would check is the black plastic/weather stripping at the bottom of the windshield in front of the passenger seat. Make sure it's draining the water away from the PCM. An SS came into a dealership near my house. The guy said it acted up every time it rained. Turned out the water was draining off of the windshield onto the PCM. I believe there are custom covers you can buy to cover the top of the PCM or you could fab one up your self with a little sheet metal. Either way, that's where I'd start to look for your problem. Then, I'd move to what's directly above cylinder 6 and it's electronics.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Well the reason why I said cylinder 6 i'm thinking that the water is pouring directly into that certain pin, I was searching for the pin-out of the pcm but I couldn't find it but yeah i ussually cover my pcm with a plastic bag but i guess it still leaks down on it cause it only does it once in a while, no i don't spray my engine, it's only when it rains or wash the exterior of my car not my car directly. The reason I didn't want to fab one up was i'm worried will the pcm heat up or burn up from being enclosed?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1INSIDE
The reason I didn't want to fab one up was i'm worried will the pcm heat up or burn up from being enclosed?
Sounds like water to the PCM. Just cover the top so the water runs off and you'll be fine.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

btw i got new wires because i thought it was the problem new plugs etc. problem still persists after every single wash
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 PM
wrencher

I would check the harness also. It could be chaffed somewhere & the addition of water causes a problem that is otherwise not present. You could put a cover over the PCM to deflect water away from it. But if you are sealing it while washing, that might suggest the problem is elsewhere.