Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE Tuning

So I've been working on my VE table with the maf disconnected. My LTFT's are just about all 0 -1 or so. In the idle RPM range they're -4, -6 in some areas. My question is when I start up the car and it enters closed loop the STFT's are adding fuel +5 or more until its warmed up. Once I've driven around for awhile it goes to the -4, -6 range. Why would it add fuel initially and then pull it? Should I continue to lower the VE table as the LTFT's indicate in these areas or not?

Also, of more concern I've noticed some KR beginning to appear on the retard table. Happens if I'm in 5th or 6th gear on put a high load on the engine. In one cell it was 11*. Kind afraid to keep pulling fuel from the VE table if KR is showing up. Suggestions?

Also, I'm in CA on run 91 octane fuel.

Different topic. I'm putting a TNT F1 kit on the car and am going to run a 75hp shot. I know I need to make sure the car is running a little rich (or get a timing tuner) or/and retard timing. If the car is pulling fuel (-'s on the LTFT's) does this mean it is in fact a little rich? or is there really no way to tell without a WB sensor?

Thanks everyone?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, so you're in SD mode, using the narrowbands, putting a high load on the motor at low rpms, and you're seeing 11* KR??? Please tell me you didn't disable PE. Narrowband tuning is all well and good when your car naturally commands stoich. But, if you're commanding stoich when PE typically kicks in, don't be surprised if you see KR and higher cylinder temps. Now, with PE on, you can pray that the .900 mV you're shooting for is close to the 12.9 AFR some have claimed. But, you could be doing some damage to your motor using the narrowbands to tune that part of the fuel curve - especially with PE turned off.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Ok, so you're in SD mode, using the narrowbands, putting a high load on the motor at low rpms, and you're seeing 11* KR??? Please tell me you didn't disable PE. Narrowband tuning is all well and good when your car naturally commands stoich. But, if you're commanding stoich when PE typically kicks in, don't be surprised if you see KR and higher cylinder temps. Now, with PE on, you can pray that the .900 mV you're shooting for is close to the 12.9 AFR some have claimed. But, you could be doing some damage to your motor using the narrowbands to tune that part of the fuel curve - especially with PE turned off.
No, PE isn't disabled. Also, the rpms weren't that low and I wasn't WOT or anything like that (that's kind of why I thought this was strange). Although, I probably did let them fall a little to far while trying to hit different cells. Lesson learned I suppose.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LoWeLL216

Different topic. I'm putting a TNT F1 kit on the car and am going to run a 75hp shot. I know I need to make sure the car is running a little rich (or get a timing tuner) or/and retard timing. If the car is pulling fuel (-'s on the LTFT's) does this mean it is in fact a little rich? or is there really no way to tell without a WB sensor?

Thanks everyone?

I am still in the process of tuning my VE table, although I am just about done. Before tuning VE, I could not run a 150 shot. I would get alot of detonation, I backed it down to 100, and every once in a while, I still get a get a little detonation. But now that I am tuning the VE table, I am hoping for better results when I start spraying again. I also backed the timing down when I first start spraying, that seemed to help some.

Jason