Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning the A/F ratio...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the A/F ratio...

I've read through the stickies above about the MAF, and needless to say, some of it can get a little confusing. However, if I wanted to manipulate my A/F ratio, would I need to get HP Tuners or would a MAF translator do the trick?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

A MAF translator will get you closer, but you won't have the level of detail that comes with tuning software. Also, you'll need access to a scanner if you want to check part throttle AFR (shown through long term fuel trims). Finally, you'll need a wideband O2 for full throttle AFR. That's why most people who take it this far spend a few extra bucks and get the software. Otherwise, you're p!ss!ng in the dark on a windy night and that's just a game most of us aren't willing to play.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Out of curiosity, an Autometer A/F guage wont read partial and WOT?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Not the guage by itself. The connector that hooks it up to your stock NB sensor just turns it into a pretty little light show. Your car (if it's running right) will run on average a 14.63 AFR at part throttle thanks to the fuel trims. But, they could be at +15 and you'd never know without a scanner. As for WOT, you're SOL without a WBO2.