Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley commander 950

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holley commander 950

I’m doing an lsx swap and was looking into a stand along tunable wiring harness w/ecu, something that I can tune with my laptop. I really don’t feel like spend the $2,500 for the big kit (bs3,gen7,xfi,ect.). I saw a kit from one of the sponsors, they are offering a Holley Commander 950 wiring harness w/ecu for about $900. Just looking to see has anyone had any experiences with it. I did search bit not too much info came up. Is it worth the money? thanks for your input, Alex
Old 08-26-2005, 07:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've used the Commander with the wide band on several cars, and we're not impressed with it. Spend the extra money for a better combination. Bob
Old 08-26-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought that the Commander was for Gen1 SBC&BBC, not LSx. I have no issues with stock F-body harness modified by Speartech and the GM computer tuned by me using HPTuners.

The best part is that all of the sensors and parts are stock GM and available at any GM dealership.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

The only problem with the Commander 950 is that it will not control timing on LSx engines. I have been using the Commander 950 on my GTO for over 5 years now and have not had any issues. My GTO has a Chevy 502 big block. The system is easy to tune, especially with a wideband. Just tonight I hooked up my Commander to my LS6 that I have in my 88 RX7. I have the stock ECU controlling timing and the Commander doing fuel. It fired up on the first crank and then it started raining so I was not able to mess with it anymore.

PM me and I will keep you posted as to my progress. I also have an MSD 6010 box that I will try for timing control. The great thing about the Commander and the MSD is they have certain features that just aren't available on a stock ECU. For instance you can activate a single stage of nitrous with the Commander and have it add fuel while the MSD pulls timing (the Commander will pull timing on an older engine with HEI ignition). The MSD also have a 2 step function that can be used for launch control. The REALLY nice feature is that all tuning changes are made real time. YOu can have a tuner riding shot gun and have the car tuned in a matter of a few hours. WOT tuning can be done on the chassis dyno or at the track. The Commander also has an internal datalogger or it can log to a laptop.

I would be curious to know what you didn't like about it Bob.

Andrew
Old 08-27-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well there you go, it is possible. Thanks for the info Andrew.

-Matt
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the 950 Commander with the Pro wideband software, on a blown 383. It has been pretty easy to get running and broken-in on a safe tune; now I'm starting to finetune it. The WBO2 makes it easy to see exactly your realtime AFR, and have the computer add or subtract a substantial amount of fuel to get you close to your targets.

Very smooth, 750rpm idle, excellent power and response. The Datalog is great.

I recommend it!

Jim