Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is a strange one

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is a strange one

These are the codes I'm getting on a 1998 PCM. They don't have anything to do with systems I have on the car. The car runs great, no issues except a slight rich condition. Could I have a PCM from a non f_body / vette?

164 – O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 3
196 – engine oil temperature sensor range/performance
467 – purge flow sensor input low
473 – exhaust pressure sensor high
482 – cooling fan sensor #3 malfunction
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

It could just be that the programming in the PCM is set to throw a code for systems you don't have. If that's the case, you just need to have the codes turned off. I have a spot in my PCM for those kinds of codes, but they're turned off because they don't mean jack to my car (i.e. - I don't have a 3rd sensor on bank 2).
Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible it could be another LSx based vehicle I think... but I don't know of any GM cars (at least LSx based) that have a 3rd O2 sensor... For sure vettes and F-Bodies don't have those...

Did you just complete the engine swap? where did you get the PCM and Engine from?

Do you have any method of reading hte PCM or know anyone w/HP Tuners for a 98 that's local?

Weird... I just looked at a 98 file in HPT and don't even have those codes as an option... can you get the part number off the PCM itself?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have all those codes in my 98 F-Body PCM, but they're all disabled. Strange to have them thrown in a stock coded car.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Yep just got everything together. Bought a refurbished 98 PCM from a big time PCM vendor and had it reflashed by a forum member through the mail with the "lastest" software rev. Maybe he didn't turn off those codes.
I have LS1EDIT but those codes are not listed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.