Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why MAFless

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why MAFless

Convince me to loose my MAF and go MAFless, What´s good and What´s bad?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The MAF seems to be a perplexing beast...
On a Stock Car it it usually calibrated correctly and the car runs fine
but as you start to Mod your car(even though this technically should not change) and it breathes differently...it sems that your MAF calibration drifts in comparison to your VE. and after you tune in your VE you typically need to recalibrate your tables for the MAF to make it correct. when incorrect your car can feel sluggish. when correct your car can just zip right along.
Going to an SD tune eliminates this factor and makes it easier to get pep and zip with the tune. AT high velocity changes having no MAF can make the car a lttle sluggish if your tune is not dead on as the MAF is supposed to be quicker at deciding fueling based on these changes... but again..it all comes down to the MAF being exactly dead on calibrated properly...which is not an easy thing to do
some people even go as far as going o an open loop SD tune as it remains exactly as you tune it and you get exactly the same fueling everytime. but Open loop cannot correct for climate/weather/altitude changes and the MAF in conjunction with several other sensors can help the computer truely decide the correct amount of fueling(again...dependent on accurracy, and dependent on the tune...

or atleast thats what I have come to understand from lots of reading on here