Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED some clarification

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED some clarification

In my last thread, I guess I really didn't specify what I was asking. Let me see if I can reword it. When you get your computer flashed with a power programmer or tuned, effectively...what does that take the place of? I.E...is that the same as getting a new chip or a new ECU, etc? This is my first V8 in years. Last car I had was an import tuner and I bought a new ECU and chip for it. Didn't know I had the option to get the computer reprogrammed.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

We dont have chips. you get the PCM tuned and they can do the type of things like a chip. IE.. Adjust timing spark, fuel,shift points,speedo, tire size they can turn off Vats (security stuff). hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

furthermore....off the shelf tuners are great for ball park tunes....for example, they have tunes for bolt ons, tunes for cams, etc. these are VERY general tunes though, and you will either not get the full potential out of the car or possibley do something wrong(ex. get a tune for more timing when you are already getting some knock). the more you do to the car, the more specific the tune must be. A handheld programer may have a tune for "Bigger cam", but that in no way fine tunes it..engines react differently from one to the next and one tune may not work for your car. Lastly, spend the money, get HPtuners, or get someone that does to tune the car.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as mentioned... F-Body's haven't been "chipped" since 93 ... from 94 on they used Flash chips built onto the PCM/VCM ...

They computer's programmed via the diagnostic port (or if you get a mail order, you send your PCM in, they flash it, and then send it back)
Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Question OOOOOOOooooooooohhhhhh...

I gotcha now. That's why I was asking about the chip. I used to have a 93 Z28 and I kept seeing chips for it. Sorry to sound so novice @ this but hey if I don't ask, then I'm hurtin for not askin. thanks...one more thing. Would buying a venom 400 PCM for my LS1 be a bad thing or just something that isn't needed?

Last edited by griff71177; 09-13-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is a "venom 400" ? and what changes does it make or promise....

frankly... "venom 400" sonds like some crap import shops sell to newbs to me....

but .... what does this venom tune do for you? what PCM tables do they change?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

Well, me personally, I haven't gotten any of there products yet. But from what I have read and heard from people I know with different cars (civics, supra's, 350 Z's), they are very good products.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rt=VNM-V45-130

Click on that and check it out. I know 25% is a big number to put out there, but I'm still interested in checking it out, especially if it does what it says about working in conjunction with other mod's. It looks very promising. Even their nitrous kit looks hot!!! Anyway, let me know what you think...

Griff
Old 09-13-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click on the application tab. Its for late model third gens. , not LS1s. Thats why nobody here know what this thing is.

Forget about canned tunes and handhelds. Either get a dynotune, or HPTuners.