Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinging

Hey guys, I tried a search and got a lot of results, but can't seem to find an identical problem. I have a M6 Z that pings up top in 1st and into 2nd. I try to not hold it there (obviously) so I don't know if it goes away or not. The car has a recent tune up and that did nothing for it. It has an MTI lid with K&N as mods and that's it. I did clean the MAF and no difference. It only does it after driving extended periods of time when it is 70+ degrees out. On a cool night, it will not do it at all. I replaced the IAT sensor today for the hell of it since it seemed temp related (and it was broken where the plug went in anyway) and that did nothing to solve it.

Does this sound like a known issue? Unfortunately, I know nothing about the cars past, so I don't know if there is a tune in it or now. I do know that at WOT in 1st, o2's never went below .800 on the scan tool, so I don't think it is running lean (don't know what a stock one runs?). THing that I thought was odd was that althought the scanner I used does not show knock counts or anything, it does have a "knock detection" monitor or something with a yes or no and it never showed yes while it was knocking. Don't know if that would point to dead knock sensors or if that was something else on the tool.

Lastly, what is an inexpensive tuning program for this car with data logger software and such? I used LT1 edit on my last car, but was wondering if there were other options out there. Thanks.
Joe
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

pinging destroys/burns valves and pistons so take care of this now...

what kind of gas are you using - upgrade to 93 octane, if possible.

check for fouled spark plugs or other ignition issues like bad wires. are you throwing any SES codes on the dash?

do you have a PC scanning tool for OBD-2 cars?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I am having this problem right now. I am running TR55s, but still have the problem. I am using the stock timing, but still persists. I will be changing back to the OEM plugs and see what happens.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Check for bad plugs, plug wires (common), low fuel pressure. You have no SES codes; right?

Any PCM diagnosis software?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use Ultra 94 in it, plugs are new AC iridiums (did it with NGK iridiums also), wires are new taylor, fuel filter is new, just did an injector cleaning (real cleaning, not the in tank stuff) also for the hell of it in case it was clogged injectors. I also replaced both knock sensors.

I am well aware of the damage from detonation- I have been playing with turbo 4 cylinders for the past 7 years, that is why I want to get it taken care of and also why I will not stay on it while it is detonating to see if it goes away .

I am down to two ideas- low fuel pressure/volume or the previous owner has a bad tune in the ECU (Hypertech maybe). I have a buddy at a Chevy dealer, I was thinking of going by there tomorrow and having him put a stock flash in it to be safe.

No SES, that would make this too easy haha.. I do not have any logger/diag. software, but I did borrow a friends scan tool the other day to do a quick road test, but I couldn't use it long since he has a busy shop and needed it also. That is how I saw that the O2's seemed to be holding good #'s throughout the RPM's.

As for the fuel pressure- what should it be? I'll throw a gauge on it tomorrow and see what it is doing. Odd that it only does it on warmer days though, that makes me think it may be timing, not fuel.
Joe