Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a Tuner. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Tuner. Need advice.

Ok, i'm a n00b at this so bear with me. I'm looking at getting a tuner for my 99 WS6. Dunno if it will be a full or handheld, hoping you guys could cash in your 2 cents on that one.

Here are my mods:
SLP Air Lid
LT Pacesetters
TSP Y-pipe with no cats(might get cutouts BEFORE i get tuner, dunno)
Flowmaster Muffler
3.73 gears
160 degree thermostat
Car lowered 2" under stock

If you asked me what to do with a tuner, all i would say is "Plug it in and start tuning" b\c i'm a retard when it comes to this. Will i need to "download" anything before i plug this sucker up to my car or what? I want my car to be faster, plain and simple. But i don't want to be getting 10mpg in the city either. I hear you can control how much fuel is injected. Does more necessarily mean faster? Simple questions like this. Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by treading hte stickies... they go over alot of basic to advanced stuff
also check the websites of the various devices (again see stickies)

DId I mention read the stickies?

To answer your question about fueling... sometimes more = more power, sometimes less = more power .... it's not a yes or no question
Old 10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Read the stickies. Didn't help too much though. At least not the info i'm looking for. I need a "retards" description.

Last edited by Vrbas; 10-03-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Restricted User

i have a hand held and i have ejoyed it. it serves its purpose in my opinion and its a nice place to start. you can do minor things like adjust for your gear change and your thermostat change. lot of guys on here hate them and think they are a waste of $$. im just one of the ones who thought different. with that said tho....i am now ready for a full service tunner.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
i have a hand held and i have ejoyed it. it serves its purpose in my opinion and its a nice place to start. you can do minor things like adjust for your gear change and your thermostat change. lot of guys on here hate them and think they are a waste of $$. im just one of the ones who thought different. with that said tho....i am now ready for a full service tunner.
Well i have the budget for a full tuner. Should i just go ahead and get that or would it be better to start small and simple with my limited number of mods?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can swing the money, you'd be better off buying a full suite... but keep in mind if you buy a full tuning suite... it's not instant... you don't look at the software and scans and *bam* you can tune the car and figure everything out... it takes some time reading the help files, reading posts here, etc...

In the long run a full blown tuner is the best bang for the buck... handhelds (for the most part) you are limited to only certain parameters, the performance tunes are canned tunes... may not work well in every car... etc...

If you're willing to spend the time to learn how to use a full software suite then it's the best bet...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

If you plan on adding more and more mods to your car, and it looks like you are since your sig. says cam is coming soon, probably a full tuning suite is your best bet. But keep in mind what Horist said. You gotta take the time to learn some.
Adjusting fueling, timing and other parameters for maximum efficiency will make your car run better, and can make you gas milage better as well, since the engine can actually be losing power if the mixture is too rich, timing is not optimised, etc. After adding headers, cam etc. the stock tune is gonna be way off. The more mods you get, the harder it will be to get in good tune with a hand-held programmer.

Of course, you could just pay a shop to dynotune your car. But have to do it again if you add more mods..