PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I wait or pull the trigger (EFI-live/HP-tuners ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Also these guys forgot to mention that Live will soon be supporting the Duramax Diesel which in now in its beta stages. For a 1 bar SD car I still dont feel the 50.00 bux is worth it. The Custom OS's Live offeres gives you the ability to run a lean cruise type setup for bettr fuel economy and they do this WITHOUT BREAKING THE LAW. No more patched Os's or users running around trying to edit their own bins and recalculating checksums which may end up in a dead PCM if not done right If we are talking two bar cars there is no comparison its 99.00 for a licesnse in Live and 299.00 for a license in HPT and this is on a per car basis. 1 bar debatable 2 bar no question its Live hands down. We can go back and forth all day about which product has the edge over the other but at the end of the day none of us matter its how you feel about the product you are purchasing and whether you felt it was money well spent. Both products WILL get the job done, there is no doubt about that.

No we did not forget to mention EFI Live will be tuning the Duramax.
What you forget is Superchips already knows how to tune it and other diesels.
Everything those guys know how to tune will be implemented into VCM Suite.
In the next few months HP Tuners will be implementing Duramax, Ford, Dodge I4, I5, I6 tuning. Not "just" the Duramax.

The opposite also hold true. What we know on the LS1/2/7, I4,I5, I6 will be implemented into their hand helds for those who don't care to learn how to tune.

If you have never run our SD code, then you don't know what you are missing. That includes awesome driveabilty for cammed cars and 2 bar code that stands above the competition. HP Tuners 2 bar code is hands down superior to the other guys. These code modifications require lots of R&D and are not free, but are well worth the price. You get what you pay for here.

Now on to licensing. We will be offering both individual licenses like Carputing/EFI and our very popular Model/Year scheme with the new USB hardware scheduled for release mid November. Both license types can co-exist and be purchased at any time.

Folks keep in mind that anybody's individual license scheme is locked to the VCM and has no resale value unless you plan on selling the VCM's with it.

HP Tuners has spent over 1 year of R&D time with both the software and upcoming hardware to ensure your product is light years ahead of the competition.

By mid next year HP Tuners/ Superchips will cover more models and have more options/features than any other competitor, period. Did I forget to mention phone support for technical problems

With that in mind it is up to the end buyer as to which product suits their needs the best. That not only includes today's offerings, but tomorrow's as well.

-Ken

Last edited by Super Sport X2; 10-24-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Super Sport X2
If you have never run our SD code, then you don't know what you are missing. That includes awesome driveabilty for cammed cars and 2 bar code that stands above the competition. HP Tuners 2 bar code is hands down superior to the other guys. These code modifications require lots of R&D and are not free, but are well worth the price. You get what you pay for here.
-Ken

Includes awesome driveablilty how? Do you yourself tune it before it is sent back to the customer. I cant see how the code changes made will make the vehicle drive worlds better (and I have seen both 1 bar an 2 bar products from you). I though that was left to the tuner and his capabilities . I am pretty sure EFILive has put the same if not more hours into the R&D for their 1,2 and 3 bar code (last i checked they were both pretty equal with minor differences +/-1-2 tables). Not to mention the feature set is growing each day for their enhanced OS's and all at teh cost of a license. Pretty darn sweet if you ask me. Yes you do get what you pay for and I am happy with the decison I made. Thanks for the heads up. It cost me a whole helluva lot going through 3 packages until I found the one that fit me but it was well worth it seeing all three in action.

I am happy HPTuners will be offering tuning support on multiple platforms (even though your crew doesnt think I feel that way ). It keeps the market fresh with innovation demonstrated by both companies. If it wasnt for competition your company wouldnt continue to push the bar to make sure the customers are happy.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
(last i checked they were both pretty equal with minor differences +/-1-2 tables).
Those +/- 2 tables you speak of are some rather important ones.

It's funny how you make a post of the differences and then pick a few things out of our reply to bolster your postition, yet ignore what we post.

I also beg to differ that we would not be improving our product if there were no competiton. As we are three guys who like to drive what we tune, we add/improve and update all the time. We were making regular 1.x updates "just because". Some updates take more time than others (2.0 and new hardware).
Tuning is supposed to be a fun hobby. So with that said you can have the last word

-Ken
Old 10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

What you forget is Superchips already knows how to tune it and other diesels.
Everything those guys know how to tune will be implemented into VCM Suite.
In the next few months HP Tuners will be implementing Duramax, Ford, Dodge I4, I5, I6 tuning. Not "just" the Duramax.
Did you want me to argue with this these are facts about your company and the partnership, your opinion about your 2 bar making the cars drive any better was a debatable opinion.

The opposite also hold true. What we know on the LS1/2/7, I4,I5, I6 will be implemented into their hand helds for those who don't care to learn how to tune.
Or maybe argue this. How can I that is what your company plans on doing.

Now on to licensing. We will be offering both individual licenses like Carputing/EFI and our very popular Model/Year scheme with the new USB hardware scheduled for release mid November. Both license types can co-exist and be purchased at any time.
Folks keep in mind that anybody's individual license scheme is locked to the VCM and has no resale value unless you plan on selling the VCM's with it.
Or argue you are enhancing your licensing scheme to be more competative. How can I argue with that. This is good....

-Ken[/QUOTE]

So no i picked out what I felt wasnt competely accurate not trying to "bolster" my opinion as you so eloquently put it.

To date Live has more tables and param in the 2-3 bar software that "make a difference" (purely subjective i still feel its the tuners job to git er done)

Adaptive Octane scaler
IAT vs Ve (for the boost guy where the Intake temps get hot)
Boost retard table
Open Loop ECT commander Fuel multiplier
Commanded Fuel vs RPM
Dual spark tables
Valet mode and a few others.

And again all of this at the cost of a 99.00 license. When you restructure your licensing program I am pretty sure you will make the necssary changes to accomodate ALL of your customers.

I hope this isnt about the last word but about sharing information. You are trying to push your product through enhancements, customer support multi platfrom support and EFILive is doing the same. These discussions shouldnt end in a locked thread or nasty pms about when I should and shouldnt post because of the product i choose to support and advertise for much less how controversila my signature is even though that is MY OPINION. I too was a happy HPT customer you can search under my SN and see that. I choose to jump ship for free updates and at the time a better scanning tool (Live has had the features of 2.0 since January with the exception of your compare feature across different os's) amongst a few other things but that is for another thread. I am done now before da man silences me which I bet a few people on here would love to see :LOL:
Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, do NOT turn this into a mudslinging thread. You guys seriously need to quit taking tuning threads so personal, and keep things on topic.

how about this,

Don't say ANYTHING negative about the "other guys" product. Just tell everyone the GOOD points about the product of your choice. That will take care of any arguments.

we are watching you.....
Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEFILive does has some neat features, but look at how you are going to use the product. Both have good user boards to help get you going (in addition to here). I recently ordered (but have not received..hint, hint Keth ) HPT. In the end, I think for what I need to accomplish (basic tuning with an easy learning curve, no FI, no external W/B), that HPT was the most economical solution.

If you want HPT and USB, you might want to wait a couple weeks.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the same boat. I weight the black box logging a little more and for that reason I am leaning towards live. Both are awesome products and I am really considering what I will get more reusability out of in hte future. I speculate that HPT with Superchips may offer a handheld in the future but I don't know.

Since I just broke my laptop, one question I do have is can I do black box flashing with LIVE? Like from my desktop? I don't believe I can right now but when they come out with the handheld? Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I am in the same boat. I weight the black box logging a little more and for that reason I am leaning towards live. Both are awesome products and I am really considering what I will get more reusability out of in hte future. I speculate that HPT with Superchips may offer a handheld in the future but I don't know.

Since I just broke my laptop, one question I do have is can I do black box flashing with LIVE? Like from my desktop? I don't believe I can right now but when they come out with the handheld? Thanks
Currently you can not flash the PCM from the cable. You would need a PC to do so. With the upcoming V2, you will be able to flash the PCM without a computer and much, much more.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Realisticly, when is this supposed to be available?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:22 AM
Var
On The Tree

I was debating what to get, but i've already ordered HPT. I'm sure i'll be more than happy with their product. At this point in the game i think it's down to who's business model you like more and what fits your needs in the long run, and not the actual product because both are more than capable for everyone.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Realisticly, when is this supposed to be available?
We are expecting the time period between SEMA and Christmas to be ummm... interesting...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the interesting information fellas... Looks like I'm waiting a few weeks to see what happens.

Quick Reply: Should I wait or pull the trigger (EFI-live/HP-tuners ?