Sponsored by:

best ECM tuning package for mild turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best ECM tuning package for mild turbo setup

2000 Suburban 1500, 5.3L

Adding a small single turbo, looking to make around 375-400hp at the crank, nothing earthshaking... just sick of needing to be at 4000+ rpms to pull the trailer up a hill...

Just need a basic package that will allow me to adjust fueling and ignition advance under all driving conditions...

anybody with a similar project have any comments?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Basically it boils down to two choices EFI FLASHSCAN or HP TUNERS.

The following link will answer your questions. What is the Best Tuning Software ?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

take a look at the stickies. There is even one that's titled "Best Tuner"
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys... I saw the sticky, but it wasn't exactly a black and white review of what's the best, especially on the tuning front... I had seen lots of guys moving towards standalones and was curious about where the reflashers were coming up short... from what I have been told, as long as you are within the airflow limits of the MAF you are good to go with reflashing the stock ECM...

along those lines, does anybody know what the airflow limit is on the MAF from a 2000 Suburban 5.3L? Obviously with the new GM vehicles making over 500hp stock I know that there are GM MAFs capable of making the power I want, I just don't know anything about the MAF that I have...

thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

We support 2bar Speed Density tuning for your truck, remove the MAF and then you don't need to worry about it

Chris...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Teching In

but if i'm within its airflow metering limits, what is there to worry about? Believe me, I am sold on a speed density system for a standalone... My Camaro ran a FAST, my Supra runs an AEM, both are speed density and work great... but in this case, I don't see what the conversion buys me? We know that a properly sized MAF can meter air very accurately, no one is questioning the OEM drivability... if packages like EFI live will allow me to adjust the fueling withing the full range of the MAF, I don't see what else a speed density conversion offers me?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Speed Density with the stock PCM using one of the popular software packages. Both EFI and HPT will handle your task well, pick which one suits you the best -- they're both great!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NiceToBeBlown
but if i'm within its airflow metering limits, what is there to worry about? Believe me, I am sold on a speed density system for a standalone... My Camaro ran a FAST, my Supra runs an AEM, both are speed density and work great... but in this case, I don't see what the conversion buys me? We know that a properly sized MAF can meter air very accurately, no one is questioning the OEM drivability... if packages like EFI live will allow me to adjust the fueling withing the full range of the MAF, I don't see what else a speed density conversion offers me?
It depends how much boost you are running and if you blowoff the end of the maf table. Also, when you're out on the top end of the MAF table it's maybe not as accurate as you think.

There are 100's/1000's of cars running low boost MAF setups all over the place and if that suits your setup then it's a great place to start. It's not a complex process to go to 2bar if you need to in the future.

Chris...