Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for LS1 to LS6 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for LS1 to LS6 Conversion

When you purchase one of these LS6 conversion kits, it tells you in the fine print that you must must recalibrate your PCM (for instance, Pace says *PCM must be reprogrammed on all models to ensure accurate fuel system calibration for the LS6 specifications).

My question is, out of the multitude of things you can recalibrate, what exactly are the minimum or essential tables that would need to be updated within the stock calibration to meet this requirement (in otherwords, what is the bare minimum you would need to do)?

There seems to be some difference of opinion with people I've talked to so if anyone actually knows the true answer, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.........A
Old 11-16-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the kit include?

Few things I can think of:
If it uses the LS6 MAF, your PCM needs to be set for that (not sure what maf the 04 gtos use)
If it uses the LS6 injectors (28lb/hr same as 01/02/98 F-Bodies) the Injector tables need to be updated
If you're using hte LS6 cam then you'll prollly want to use an LS6 VE table

Depending on what the kit comes with... you're best bet is probably to compare an LS6 pcm file to your pcm and see what changes were made...
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

This is in reference to a 2004 GTO LS1, so the only hardware that would be changed are the heads and cam (and of course the valvetrain for the '02 and newer LS6 cam). All other parts remain the stock.

Thanks again.....A
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... assuming the 04s still use 28lb injectors... the main change you'd want to make is the VE table.

Of course there will still need to be some fine tuning, but shouldn't be a lot of changes needed... the LS6 cam is a really mild cam. So you would probably be best just copying the LS6 VE table to your setup and then fine tune from there.

So at minimum I'd think just the VE table (and of course PE tuning for WOT) ... also you'll want to adjust your timing tables ... that should probably do it...

If I have time after work I'll do a quick compare between an 04 goat and 04 Z06 and give a run down of hte differences
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Thank you, that would be very helpful...