PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

What are O2 Sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002 | 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

From: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Default What are O2 Sensors ?

I plan on getting the LS1 Edit when it comes out for the 2001s. In the mean time I am trying to learn all I can about programing it. I see that there are a lot of people wanting to get rid of the 02 Sensors. Can anyone tell me what they are and why you might want to delete them? Thank-you, Becky
Old 03-30-2002 | 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: What are O2 Sensors ?

O2 sensors are Oxegen sensors. O2 is the chemical formula for oxygen (normaly, there are others) calling oxygen O2 is like calling nitrous oxide N2O

O2s measuer the amount of oxygen in the exaust.

there are 4 O2s on the F bodies, 2 of them are in front of the catalytic converters and they measure the Air/Fuel Ratio. most people dont mess with these, but a few do get rid of them.(mostly race only cars or older cars with EFI swaps)

the other two are the rear or after catalytic O2s. the only purpose for these is to keep tabs on the catalytic converters, to determine if they are working properly or need replacement. Its strictly an emmisions thing.

If someone removes the cats the rear O2s now throw codes because the cats arent working (obviously). These are the ones people are asking about deleting 99% of the time

There are two ways to get rid of the SES light, O2 simms (or simulators), trick the computer into thinking there are still Cats on and they are functioning properly.

The other way is simply to delete (actualy you are just turning them off) all the codes that are associated with the rear O2s and you have effectively deleted the rear O2s.

If you have Cats on the car and provisions for the O2 sensors, there is no need to delete them.

hope that helps
Troy

<small>[ March 30, 2002, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]</small>
Old 03-30-2002 | 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

From: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Default Re: What are O2 Sensors ?

Thanks Troy, now I understand!