Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I kill my O2's

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I kill my O2's

I got a mail order tune for a baseline since my car is modified quite a bit and I wanted to be able to start the new motor and get a little run time before I tried to either tune it myself or take it to a professional tuner.

I have not built my exhaust yet and am temporarily running open headers. Its run 3 times for a total of maybe 30 min. It has killed all the plugs. Extreemly rich. The tuner says its because I was running open headers and it thinks its super lean so it keeps adding fuel. That makes since to me. I got a temporary set of duals I'm going to throw on to keep that from happening again. If the plugs are that black and fouled do you think I have to replace the O2's also before I procede?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

02s may still be fine... there's just carbon buildup ... they'll definetly be lazier than before but only way to tell if they're dead is to get the exhaust up and see if they stabilize (scan tool) ... if they're way outta wack the PCM will set a code telling you such...

The O2s will look black just from normal operation so that's not a real good indicator of O2 life
Old 12-28-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
02s may still be fine... there's just carbon buildup ... they'll definetly be lazier than before but only way to tell if they're dead is to get the exhaust up and see if they stabilize (scan tool) ... if they're way outta wack the PCM will set a code telling you such...

The O2s will look black just from normal operation so that's not a real good indicator of O2 life
OK thanks.... Will it do any good to pull them and try to clean them with something?