Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question High IAT?

I took my car to the track for the first time this last summer and to my suprise, the best I could manage was a 14.2 at 103mph. The track is LACR, 2700 ft above sea level in the middle of the desert. Temps were about 85-90 at night when I ran the car. My car just felt dead up there. While going down the track I was thinking to myself "wtf, where is my power" lol. Now I went there again a week or two later, but that time I brought a tech2 to see if there were any problems. I noticed my IAT was 160 at the start of the race and slowly decreased to about 127 by the end of the race. My question is, is this where my problem is? I noticed there was a little bit of knock retard, and I could hear a slight detonation, but it was nothing very serious. I'm not really sure (if this even is my problem) how to cool my IAT. I have the tech2 excel file if anyone wants to take a look at it. Thanks.

James
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

ttt... I'm wondring if a black car with an SS hood in the middle of the day is always going to have high intake air temps due to the hood soaking up a lot of heat. That and the fact that the engine is hot heating up the bottom of the hood as well. Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that IAT temp does not seem to high but if you think it is causing slow times get the resistor that set it to the set temp but that is not going to change the fact that u are in the desert at that elevation so the air going in is still going to be hot.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use a thermocouple to verify the IAT readings.
If the IAT is correct then it's not a tuning problem but just the fact of the actual heat.
The most likely thing I can think of is heat from the radiator.
Could you post a pic of your intake to air-cleaner area?
Maybe the problem will become clear.
Have you done any modification to the air ducting or around the air filter?

Your power output is probably about right because of the actual elevation combined with the warm air.
You should just do what you can about the air temp going into the engine.