Will I need tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 01:23 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will I need tuning?

Hi guys,

will I need tunng on my car for the following setup? or maybe a little tweaking of the air/fuel ratio?

MTI Lid, Granatellis Mass Air Flow Sensor, K&N, Ultra-Z hood (functioning), SLP Loudmouth. I' thinking a whole lot of air is gonne be going in and out and if that might affect my air/fuel ratio a lot or myabe need tuning?

if not, when do you recommend i get tunig done?
next mods to come:

Long Tube headers
Ported TB
2800 or 3200 torque Converter
Old 08-07-2002, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Default Re: Will I need tuning?

For bolt-ons, tuning isn’t going to net you much gain (unless you’ve got some really messed up A/Fs). I would say do the mods first, then see how the car runs. If you’re rich, lean, etc. then look into tuning.

Usually, people don’t need tuning until internal mods or forced induction are added to their setups.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will I need tuning?

I dont think you will need a custom program made via LS1edit but I do think you will benefit from some minor tuning. What I would do is pick up a MAFT which will allow you to adjust base and WOT fuel delivery and spark advance. From what I have seen is that changes with the MAF being ported ends or a Granatelli unit usually need a little fine tuning to get the most of the setup. From what I have seen with MAF ends they usually cause a lean condition, that goes the same for long tube headers. So for those two mods you would want the MAFT to be able to richen up the mixture a little bit. Its a great investment that you can constantly play with to see what settings your car likes the best, I highly reccommend it.